This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Marcelo Gomes

Snow Flake

I have attended a big dance festival in Joinville, Brazil, where Marcelo Gomes danced, as a guest, the black swan pas de deux with Cecília Kerche. How beautiful was this pas de deux! I had never seen Marcelo dancing a grand pas de deux, and I didn''t know that he was a wonderful dancer! It was great, for the 10000 people who watched that performance, to see that there's a so wonderful brazilian dancer.

I think soon he will be promoted to principal dancer at ABT. What do you think?

Gomes has danced some principal roles at ABT, but is not consistently cast in them as yet, so I don't know how long it may take him to be promoted, but it is hard to imagine that, if he stays healthy, he won't be. ABT has some wonderful men now, though, and it may be hard for him to move up, especially if Acosta is really coming. I think is is just stunning as a dancer, so polished technically, (as it seems so many are now), and just so gracious and generous. The Theme and Variations he did last spring with Murphy still gives me chills to think about, it was so powerful yet so elegant. It must have been so wonderful to see him in Brazil--what was the audience's reaction?

Everybody loved his dancing, specially because we don't have classical ballet companies here in Brazil; we have a few great ballerinas, like Cecília, who are unknown, and don't have any male dancer like Marcelo.Unfortunately, for most of the brazilians, the only place in the world where are great male dancers is Russia. So, the audience got amazed when he started doing those jumps, pirouettes, etc. The applauses and screams were so loud that they had to repeat the coda two times. Every body in the audience (including me) got really excited.