This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

casting changes

Two years in a row without a VP Swan Lake is cruel & unusual punishment…

This is her last season at ABT, so unfortunately, we have to get used to many years without VP Swan Lakes :devil:

Yes, but she's not retiring - just leaving ABT. I'm sure she will be dancing somewhere - and whether near or far I still hope to be able to see her in SL and much else. It will undoubtedly take extra effort and planning and require a major dip into my ABT budget - but I can't bear the thought of never seeing her dance again. That's not possible.

Yes, but she's not retiring - just leaving ABT. I'm sure she will be dancing somewhere - and whether near or far I still hope to be able to see her in SL and much else. It will undoubtedly take extra effort and planning and require a major dip into my ABT budget - but I can't bear the thought of never seeing her dance again. That's not possible.

I feel the same way, but if she moves to Europe [snip], it would take a miracle for me to go see her :devil:

Edited by Alexandra
backstage gossip sentence deleted

This is her last season at ABT, so unfortunately, we have to get used to many years without VP Swan Lakes

According to K. Ryan, the PR person for ABT, today: Ms. Part is returning to ABT. I can only suppose that in between the interview when she stated that she was leaving, and now, there has been a shift. I have seen nothing in print, but this is from today's intermission press room conversation......and Swan Lake's Queen is exquisite today.

The June 11th DQ has disappeared from the Performances section of the Vishneva's website. Even though ABT still lists her for this performance, I think the chances of her dancing this month are practically nil. I wonder who will be replacing her... :wink:

I made a bet with the ABT people in the MetOpera lobby that DV would be pulled from DonQ on the 11th. That would make 3 out of 4 casting changes for my tix and there's tonight too. Who knows.

This makes it sound like a serious injury. How awful. Let's hope she recovers completely.

The June 11th DQ has disappeared from the Performances section of the Vishneva's website. Even though ABT still lists her for this performance, I think the chances of her dancing this month are practically nil. I wonder who will be replacing her... :)

The ABT website calendar now officially shows Vishneva withdrawn for Don Q. She will be replaced by Ananiashvili. However, Vishneva is still listed for Giselle in July.

This is something I placed a bet with some of the ABT "people" weeks ago... the ones who observe the audience at ticket entrance. Even last night they would not admit that Diana was not performing and said she was still working with her trainers. Of course, they also said we could not exchange tickets either if they were not subscription purchases.

For the record, every performance I have been to thus far and thru 6.11 has had cast changes. I bought a pair for the 10th thinking that they HAD to keep their Hispanic dancers on stage for Latin Nights. Angel was ill and missed last night's performance. The women who sat next to me was a former NYCB dancer and noted that NYCB doesn't make promises on casting so you never know and it's always a surprise. Is that true?

If it's Nina, I am thrilled to see her, but saddened that again, Diana is not performing. This is sounding like a serious injury and I hope she recovers. Diana, get well. We miss you!

For the record, every performance I have been to thus far and thru 6.11 has had cast changes. I bought a pair for the 10th thinking that they HAD to keep their Hispanic dancers on stage for Latin Nights. Angel was ill and missed last night's performance. The women who sat next to me was a former NYCB dancer and noted that NYCB doesn't make promises on casting so you never know and it's always a surprise. Is that true?

Has the casting been changed for the June 10 - Don Q - Latin night? I still see Paloma and Angel listed on ABT's website, but I haven't picked up a new casting sheet at the MET since Monday night.

As far as NYCB, no they don't make promises, but they do post casting about 2 weeks in advance. However, people get ill or injured, so it is not unusual to have one of those dreaded white slips inside the playbill. The only promise that I have seen was an e-mail from NYCB saying that although Damian Woetzel's final performance was sold out, tickets could still be purchased for his final performances, which they listed in detail in the e-mail. I was grateful for the information and bought tickets based on the information they provided. My heart sunk whey I discovered that Damian was replaced in Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet (one of the 2 ballets he was supposed to dance on the program). As far as I was concerned that was a promise.

Reply to Bayadere:

I don't know of any casting changes for the 10th. I assume they will have to keep all the latinos in that night.

To everyone:

So now I have a pair of tix for 10 and 11th and I know my wife will only go to one, probably the Latin Night. If anyone is interested a single seat in the 11th please let me know JSanderO at gmail dot com. The seats IRRC are the front of th Grand Tier.

I exchanged my ticket to the June 11th DQ - have absolutely no desire in watching a grandma Kitri. The only thing that I had a slight interest in seeing and didn't have tickets for already was The Sleeping Beauty with Lane. Terribly disappointed :smilie_mondieu:

Why didn't we realize this sooner? I just figured out what's going on. As part of ABT's participation in the ongoing Jerome Robbins celebration, they've decided to make as many arbitrary, last-minute casting changes as possible.

The ABT website calendar now officially shows Vishneva withdrawn for Don Q. She will be replaced by Ananiashvili. However, Vishneva is still listed for Giselle in July.

Ms. Vishneva's recent web postings on the injury:

[Fan]:... In a few days I´m going to go to San Petersburg. I will assist to Vaganova Method Conference and perhaps I can see you in your Gala Concert (on June 23).

Diana:... Unfortunately, I cannot dance in Mariinsk theatre in June because was traumatised.....

[Fan]:... Would you be dancing Giselle at the MET on July 11? ...

Diana:... I was traumatised in the City Center and I am now treated in NY. I hope to dance Giselle on July, 11th in MET.

Abrera is no longer listed as Lilac fairy on ABT's online calendar but she is still down for the 7/9 Giselle debut. Fingers crossed
Barbara Posted Today, 06:59 AM

Very tightly crossed fingers for the Giselle debut. I think she and Hallberg have the potential to be brilliant!

This is killing me. I don't want to see her dance with an injury nor do I want to see Vishneva dance with an injury. I'd so looked forward to this debut and to seeing her as Gamzatti. She's listed for the Sat. Bayadere mat., but who knows if that's for real or just a name plug, judging from everything we've seen thus far. I'd also hoped that they would cast her as a lead in the Merry Widow, but I guess not.

I noticed that even though ABT has made calendar changes, they have not yet put the last press release for the 5th and 6th weeks casting (from last Friday) up on their website. Could that be a sign that even more changes are coming?

Why can't they post a page on their website like the Yankees do that shows their disabled list: such 'n such - 15 days disabled - ankle injury; such 'n such - tentative start elbow inflammation. What is ABT afraid of -- that we might start betting on ballet? Criminysakes, we're just trying to buy tickets to performances we really want to see.

I am sympathetic to fans desires to see a particular performer but perhaps, not all dancers would be happy with the thought of their injuries and illness being described to the public. Is it really our business? I think companies generally try to give the audience the best cast they can muster under any given circumstances.

It's a different deal with principals which is more like pitchers, they don't work every game. For those who have limitations, financial, time, distance or any combination it is almost impossible to "plan ahead" as when an injury occurs, it's hard to know when the artist will be well enough to work again, and the substitutions cascade through the schedule since they involve partnering etc. It's a lose lose situation for everyone.

What could the ABT do to make this less dicey, less frustrating and disappointing?

While we all are concerned for the artists (and the company) we do want to feel that the audience and especially devoted fans needs are met by the company. Instead they put on a show (that was Kevin McKenzie's word last night) for us and we should not complain or feel disappointed.

By the way, I walked up to the ticket window and exchanged tixs with no hassle, but I was there to see a performance so it was not a special trip. So if you DO want to exchange it seems like the BO at the Met will accommodate you.

According to the printed handout in the lobby, the July 9 Giselle is now slated to be Irina Dvorovenko with David Hallberg. I feel sorry for Stella, who must have had her heart set on this potentially breakthrough opportunity.

According to the printed handout in the lobby, the July 9 Giselle is now slated to be Irina Dvorovenko with David Hallberg. I feel sorry for Stella, who must have had her heart set on this potentially breakthrough opportunity.

Very disappointing but there is always "next season"(and she'll have more time to prepare for the role).

Very disappointing but there is always "next season"(and she'll have more time to prepare for the role).

Very disappointing, indeed, but no doubt Stella is a thousand times more disappointed than we are. What a set back. Maybe she will have the opportunity to dance Giselle when ABT takes it to Ottawa in February. Hope so. Meanwhile, the husband is grabbing a lot of attention (don't they always) by dancing well enough for both of them and injecting some cheer into what so far has not been a very cheery season.