This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Handel's Giulio Cesare in Egitto by Florida Grand Opera

Tonight was the last night of Julius Caesar at the Arsht center, before they take it to Broward. The costume/scenery choice wasn't my favorite, (one of those "modern" interpretations of older works, using very minimalistic elements). One of the things i want to note is the countertenor roles. Handel composed three of the male roles,-(Caesar, Ptolemy and Nirenuns)-to be sung by castrati, who were among the most famous singers of the time. By now, to the absence of real castrati and in opposition to the use of mezzos to sing male roles, they has been a growing developing of outstanding countertenors, who experts believe most closely approximate to the sound of the castrati. Tonight's Caesar was performed by the young countertenor John Gaston, who has garnered considerable attention lately . The other two were Brian Asawa's Ptolemy and Jason Abrams'Nirenuns. I PARTICULARLY liked the way Mr. Asawa projected his voice, forceful and clear, whereas Mr. Gaston was a little shy. Cleopatra was interpreted (at last!) by a young beautiful proportionated singer, the wonderful Leah Partridge, who displayed lost of sensuality and artistry, to the point that is she who dominated the drama and much of the opera's finest music. When Cleopatra sings her aria "V'adoro pupille" during the drama she has staged to seduce Julius Caesar he exclaims "Not even in heaven does a melody sound that can equal so beautiful a son" The orchestra , lead by Mr. Gary Thor Wedow in his FGO debut, was perfect. Brava! to Ms. Leah Partridge. :wub:

On top...Bravo Mr. Robert Heuer (FGO'CEO and General Director) :clapping:

By now, to the absence of real castrati and in opposition to the use of mezzos to sing male roles, they has been a growing developing of outstanding countertenors, who experts believe most closely approximate to the sound of the castrati.

Thanks for the report, cubanmiamiboy. No one will ever approximate the sound of the castrati – which is probably for the best, all things considered. I can take or leave countertenors, although some of them are very fine singers. Marilyn Horne in a suit of armor worked fine for me.