Thank you for this wonderful travellogue! Really mouth-watering. :(

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,210 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:30 AM

It was such a joy being on this trip. Sitting in the airport lounge, I'm not ready to fly back, especially since I packed twice as many clothes as I needed, and if I didn't have a mortgage, I could get on a train and start all over Posted Image I thought it was going to be 50 degrees and chilly the whole time, but we really lucked out, considering how we dodged a lot of rain.

I forgot to mention yesterday that Leigh told me that Myriam Ould-Braham substituted for Froustey as the second theme in "Four Temperaments" in the Sunday matinee. I found Froustey's performance on Monday night to be freer, especially in the supported turns in plie.

#18 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

Folks - I apologize for my silence during all of this, but because I'm writing for Ballet Review (London-Paris) and Dance Now (Ghent) most of my observations are owed to them first. I saw most of the same programs as Helene but also the Mats Ek program in Paris.

I have to admit that for me, though the ballets were worth seeing, the best parts of the trip were dinners with Ami and Lynette, the Tate Britain and lunches with Alexander and Effy, walking through the Marais with Helene and the Promenade Plantee with Jane and Roy, eating at Chez Clement with Cygneblanc , laughing in the dressing room with Alexandra . . .

I think that's why we travel.

I'm cooling my heels before my flight at Heathrow (I wonder how much this online access is costing me. . . ) and when I get home tonight I get to sleep about 5-6 hours before I go back to JFK for a flight to SF for the new ballets festival (Paul, which nights are you there?)

#19 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:54 AM

Helene, I was delighted to get home and find all your comments on your trip - thankyou for taking the trouble. It's beyond me where you (and Leigh) find the stamina for these marathons, let alone writing about them as well! It's always interesting to read what a fresh pair of eyes makes of a familiar company, and also to compare views on a company like POB that neither of us knows very well. It was good to meet you - here's to the next time!

#20 Azulynn

Azulynn

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

Helene, the short, dark-haired woman you noticed dancing a solo in Artifact Suite is Eléonore Guérineau. You're right, her physique is atypical for the POB, but you can see why they hired her anyway - her dancing is quite something !

I'm sorry I wasn't in Paris during your trip, but this diary was such a wonderful read. Thank you !

#21 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

To Helene, Leigh, volcanohunter, cygnetblanc and everyone who participated in the Ballet Talk Tour: I am in awe of the energy and enthusiasm you bring to these trips, as well as your generosity in sharing them with us.

Your comments mean even more to me because, having read your posts and conversed with you for so long on Ballet Talk, I feel familiar and comfortable with to the way you look at ballet, the passion you bring to it, and the language you wield so well to describe it. You give the phrase "next best thing to being there" a new meaning for me.

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,210 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

Helene, the short, dark-haired woman you noticed dancing a solo in Artifact Suite is Eléonore Guérineau. You're right, her physique is atypical for the POB, but you can see why they hired her anyway - her dancing is quite something !

Thank you so much for identifying her. She is really special.

#23 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:59 PM

Wow, Bart, I don't know what to say, but thanks a bunch ! And thanks to all the people I got to meet. I hope we can have another tour soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):