This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Out Of the Shadows and Into the Forum...

InkGypsy

Just doing the 'Hi I'm a newbie to the boards' bit here....

Hi! I'm an ex-dancer (if there is indeed such a thing) who wishes she were able to dance more but can't at present. Ballet was my life for many years and though I never was good enough to join a company I did end up dancing professionally in other ways - assist teaching at a small ballet school, coaching, teaching beginner adults, musical choreography and even performing now and then on stage (the ballet training was invaluable though the dancing was either contemporary or chorus-type work). I moved to the US (from Australia) a few years ago and have done a little dancing here too but my age is catching up with me and ballet is just too difficult to do less than three or four times a week! I'm now a new Mama and at home fulltime with my baby. I'm looking at my dreams as I'm beginning to raise him and want to give him the example of someone who keeps reaching for them, no matter what. Ballet and dance classes will come back around for me when he's older and more independent but in the meantime I'm dancing with him every day (he already loves music and moving to it) and I'm determined to stay somewhat connected to the ballet world and those who love it.

My other love is writing and I'm working on doing that more seriously too - meaning that for the first time I'm writing what I want to write and not just writing on spec or for others. My first EBook is nearly finished and the topic is 'writing about ballet dancers'. Coincidence? I think not! It's very fitting that my first loves have intertwined and culminated in this achievement.

I love the intelligent discussions I've read here on such a wide variety of topics. It's inspiring in many ways.

It seems that no matter how distracted I get with life, paying the bills, midnight feedings and the weirdness that is LA I always return to the dance - so here I am - dusty traveled feet and all - enjoying the view from up here and ready to put my two cents in. See you in the forum!

(Keep dancing - even if it's only on the inside!)

Welcome to Ballet Talk, InkGypsy; it is very nice to have you with us. Your introduction was fascinating reading; thank you for sharing that with us ... that's the purpose of this forum. We hope you and your baby continue to enjoy dancing in the kitchen, that your writing career takes of with a boom (or grand jete?), and that you'll enjoy sharing in our discussions. You might enjoy our sister site, Ballet Talk for Dancers, which is accessable at the upper right hand corner of this page. If you become a member there use your same name so that we know who you are.

Giannina

Welcome to Ballet Talk, InkGypsy; it is very nice to have you with us. Your introduction was fascinating reading; thank you for sharing that with us ... that's the purpose of this forum. We hope you and your baby continue to enjoy dancing in the kitchen, that your writing career takes of with a boom (or grand jete?), and that you'll enjoy sharing in our discussions. You might enjoy our sister site, Ballet Talk for Dancers, which is accessable at the upper right hand corner of this page. If you become a member there use your same name so that we know who you are.

Giannina

Thanks Giannina! I may just join the sister-site too then, even though I'm not a working dancer anymore. Is there a way we can be alerted to the new postings here (eg RSS feed summary) or is it a 'visit often and see what's new' thing? If there's an email summary alert that'd be great. Otherwise I'll just check in as often as I can.

Thanks again!

Subscribe? Here's how:

At the top of each forum page, on the right side of the screen, you'll see a pale blue box "Forum Options." At the bottom of the drop-down menu, you can select "Subscribe to this forum." You may have to scroll down past the stickies. And if you don't want to subscribe to the whole forum, you can sometimes subscribe to subforums.

To manage your notifications, open "My Controls," to the right of center in the paler blue strip just below the masthead. Once there, you can open Options (left hand column) and choose e-mail settings to manage your notifications. If you want notifications for every thread you post to, just tick "Enable 'Email Notification' by default" and then select the frequency of notifications from the drop-down menu.

I fear I've made it more complicated than it is. If so, I'm sorry. Feel free to ask for clarification.

Welcome InkGypsy! Welcome to motherhood as well! I also am an exdancer and fulltime stay at home mommy...no matter what life brings, I also always find "stress relief" with dance. It's also nice to hear from an aspiring dance writer. We need more of you! (Another similarity-I wrote my thesis on the Revolution of Russian Ballet) I can't wait to read your writings.