This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Russes 2009 Festival

I guess it's never too soon to ramp up the excitement for the Ballet Russes 2009 Festival - celebrating the 100 anniversary of the Ballet Russes. Several companies are including a tribute program in their 2008-09 seasons and the core festival will be held mostly in Boston:

http://www.ballets-russes.com/

I'm sure NY, Paris, Monte Carlo and St. Petersburg won't be without events, so let's add them to this thread (and come up with some wish lists of our own).

You don't have to wait for Boston and London. The McNay Art Museum of San Antonio opens their Ballets Russes exhibition June 7 through Aug. 17, 2008. The Tobin collection houses what is the second largest collection of costume designs for the Diaghilev company in America.

The Dansmuseet of Stockholm has schedualed its Ballets Russes exhibition for May 18 - Nov 1, 2009. They possess one of the larger collections of actual costumes used by the Diaghilev company.

The conference/exhibition at Boston University in conjunction with the Wadsworth Atheneum,

Hartford will be held May 16-21, 2009. Boston Ballet's Diaghilev program includes Le Fils prodigue, L'Apres-midi d'une faune, Spectre de la Rose, and Sacre du printemps.

The Joffrey will be recycling its Diaghilev recreations on a program Feb 19 - Mar 1, 2009. So far

Les noces and Sacre du printemps have been mentioned.

Ballet West follows shortly thereafter, Mar 27 - Apr 4, 2009 with a Diaghilev program including Les Biches, Le Fils prodigue, and Danses polovtsiennes.

The resurrected Oakland Ballet has promised a Diaghilev program. I have fond memories of their Ballets Russes restagings from the late '70s/early '80s.

It looks like the Victoria & Albert (London) exhibition may be pushed back from its target of Oct 2009 to early 2010. That's the problem with have too many possibilites at you hands for inclusion.

Major exhibitions are promised in Paris and Monaco. No details yet.

Time to cash in those travel awards.

PHENBY

The Hamburg Ballet are expecting new productions of Le Pavillon d'Armide and Le Sacre du printemps. The latter is that choreography by Nijinsky, reconstructed by Millicent Hodson. June 28 | 30, 2009, July 11, 2009.

Also, they are reviving Daphnis and Chloe/Afternoon of a Faun/ Le Sacre by Neumeier. November 7 | 8 (2x) | 13, 2008; July 9, 2009

And they have a 100 Years Ballets Russes – Jubilee Performance which is the masterpiece "Nijinsky" by Neumeier on May 19, 2009

http://www.hamburgballett.de/e/spielplan_08_09.htm

I must fly to Hamburg!