This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gene Kelly in NYT Letters to the Editor

Patricia Ward Kelly writes to the Times in response to a column by Maureen Dowd.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/19/opinion/...amp;oref=slogin

Graduated with a degree in economics from Pitt, Gene was not only a gifted dancer, director and choreographer, he was also a most civilized man. He spoke multiple languages; wrote poetry; studied history; understood the projections of Adam Smith and John Maynard Keynes. He did the Sunday Times crossword in ink. Exceedingly articulate, Gene often conveyed more through movement than others manage with words.

Handsome, talented, a wonderful dancer, and smart as paint. I just hate guys like that.

Thanks for the link, dirac. I was so impressed by Ms. Kelly's letter yesterday that I read it aloud to whoever would listen. The point of the letter, for those who don't know, was that Times columnist Maureen Dowd, however inadvertently, had insulted the memory of the great Gene Kelly when, commenting on President Bush's bizarre attempt at a soft shoe for the White House press corps the other day, she said that Bush had "turned into Gene Kelly."