This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kirov's AD, Vaziyev, to resign?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#46 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

I'll add my thanks! A very interesting interview indeed. Gergiev's assessment of the talent worldwide is especially interesting -- and, I believe, quite apt. Who indeed is there today, except perhaps for Ratmansky, who is so far above the rest that s/he should be leader? (Wait! That is a rhetorical question, not intended to invite nominations and divert the thread to other companies :) )

#47 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:21 AM

What is intriguing here is that all previous reports said that Gergiev wanted Vaziyev out but that Vaziyev was determined to stay. Here Gergiev is indicating that the desire to leave came from Vaziyev but that he started waffling and wavering putting off a final decision. Gergiev also is suggesting that Vaziyev was derelict from his professional responsibilities with the company. The earlier reports were that he was removed from the tour and Fateev put in charge.

Clearly we have Rashomon here. Gergiev doesn't want to be charged with pushing Vaziyev out. Clearly Fateev is a transitional figure who will clean house getting all the ducks in a row until a real artistic director such as say, Ratmansky (who clearly Gergiev wants but who doesn't want that job again) comes in to lead the Mariinsky.

Very interesting spin on the events. I suspect Vaziyev has a very different take on the situation.

Meanwhile, I think getting rid of Vaziyev is defensible and even more so, his wife Chenchikova as coach who is responsible for Alina Somova among other things. Hopefully some of the old guard will be invited back like Osipenko, Kolpakova and Terekhova to bring back the old style to the company. Hopefully the corps will get a proper coach to raise them back to their former glory.

#48 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:59 AM

Personally I think this interview is far too biased to be taken serious as a source for the current state of affairs at the Mariinsky. The only reason I linked it was because it was one of the first articles which stated Vaziev's departure as official. But I would be rather careful about the way Maestro Gergiev puts things.

It's interesting for example how he puts up such a negative image of the man he kept in charge for 13 years. Rashomon, you say? I was thinking more in the direction of a biblical Roman character, if comparisons are to be made, while Gogol is not very far either :) Maestro is also frightfully short of memory when he reminds us that he needs everybody and implies he respects his artists - no doubt Gorchakova, Prokina and some others will disagree about that one.

FauxPas, Terekhova has been back as ballet master for several years now and I don't think anybody of the old guard would make much difference in this hornet's nest.

But to be continued....

#49 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

Oh my. It sounds like we should have popcorn ready as we watch this drama unfold, Marc?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):