This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BILLY THE KID

the attached photo is dated 1941 on the back and is captioned as follows:

"In the Ballet Theatre's BILLY THE KID at the Majestic, Billy (Eugene Loring, center) kills his man (David Nillo, right) but is captured byt he sheriff (Richard Reed, left)."

I am unfamiliar w/ both Nillo and Reed, but find this succinctly captured moment from the ballet very representative of the work overall.

post-848-1205527538_thumb.jpg

Take a look at the photograph of Alicia Alonso and Richard Reed in the pdd from 'Graduation Ball' in Grace Roberts 'Borzoi Book of Ballets'. It was beautifully performed by both of them. David Nillo was an original member of BT, but he was in the Service during WWII and as far as I know did not return to BT after the war, but went into musical comedy.

thanks; i was afraid i might have had an 'odd' edition of the BORZOI BOOK, but it turns out my ed. has the photo you mention. i'm somewhat more familiar w/ R.Reed now.

in ref. to GRADUATION BALL does anyone know if Alonso did both the 'classical' divert. (as in BORZOI) and the 'sylph' alternate? or just the 'classical' one shown in this photo?

in ref. to GRADUATION BALL does anyone know if Alonso did both the 'classical' divert. (as in BORZOI) and the 'sylph' alternate? or just the 'classical' one shown in this photo?

the first few seasons I saw 'Graduation Ball', Riabouchinska and Lichine were guests with the company. At that time they only did the classical Pdd mainly with Alonso and Reed. I never saw the 'sylphide' until I saw it with DeBasil.