This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

8th International Ballet Festival, Mariinsky Theatre, Mar 13-23

... "Mariinsky International Ballet Festival."

Wow! Thank you! The 10 minute Part 1 is virtually all on the Star of the subsequent NYC engagement, Big Red herself, Ekaterina Kondaurova: rehearsing, dancing, and speaking. Interesting, too, for what passes as a new ballet. For ABT fans, Part 2 includes Gillian Murphy's Swan Lake, while Angel Corella appears on three of the final four segments.

Thank you, Rosa!

ETA: Also in the ballet with Kondourova is Maxim Zyuzin, who was also terrific at City Center, and, if I'm close to transliterating properly, Islam Baymuradov (sp?). (The Mariinsky site is down right now, so I can't check.) She doesn't seem to care who ravishes her on the table :) Then she has to dance on white astroturf... Then she turns into a doll... Then Zyuzin attacks her with the doll of herself... Which he seems to regret later...

Edited again to add that Maria Alexandrova also performs Odette at the end of Part 2 with final pose at the beginning of Part 3. Then there's a rehearsal of Viktoria Tereshkina with Angel Corella, then into their performance, with occasional cuts to rehearsal and back. Then Rojo, who does a 15-minute balance in the Black Swan Pas de Deux, and does triples among the fouettes.

There is a marvelous 6-part program about the 8th annual International Ballet Festival that was just put up on youtube; it has clips from seemingly all the performances. It can be found by putting in the keywords "Mariinsky International Ballet Festival."

I just saw that and it was magnificent! :beg: Why can't they do that on A&E or PBS? :dunno:

There is a marvelous 6-part program about the 8th annual International Ballet Festival that was just put up on youtube; it has clips from seemingly all the performances. It can be found by putting in the keywords "Mariinsky International Ballet Festival."

I just saw that and it was magnificent! :angry2: Why can't they do that on A&E or PBS? :clapping:

GOOD QUESTION. But there are mitigating circumstances...

1) There is NO A&E anymore, it's all E!, they've forgotten the A part.

2) As for PBS, there is only ONE station in the entire 350 station PBS system that ever produces or tapes dance and that's WNET's Great Performances "Dance in America" ,or rarely these days, "Live from Lincoln Center". (Of course PBS' "American Masters" has done a few bios, and ITVS/POV etc. have shown 1-2 docs over their ten+ year history). But, if it's not on their radar with enough lead time, they don't bother. Also, there are a lot of issues such as funding, broadcast, ancillary, & distribution rights--who gets what %? Mariinsky? PBS? etc.etc.--that would have to have been negotiatiated many many months ahead of time. I too, am regularly disappointed by PBS' lack of foresight regarding major dance performances, but do realise the realities required to produce it as well. And a monopoly is a monopoly, especially when the other PBS stations have no idea or interest.