This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Couples in Life and Dance.

Nanarina

:D:) Couple's in Dance, Over the years there have been many famous couples who have danced together with amazing and emotional results, I would like to ask the members to post people they know of, and tell why they were special. I mean romatically involved dancers. In my own experience I found the deep intensisty of their affection to show through in a natural way, which very often cancelled the need for excessive acting, making their performance take on a realistic expression in certain roles.

I will start the subject off with Margot Fonteyn and Rudolf Nureyev:

She was in her forties, when this Incredibly talented handsome sexy young Russian entered her life, and before long she confessed to her friends and associates she was in love with him. Their feelings were mutual. The resulting performances held the audience in awe, they made no attempt to hide the passion between them, "Rudi, once said in an interview that they let their feelings pass between themselves , then they reach out to the audience, ", to feel the depth of their emotion. This was most certainly true, their affection was witnessed by most people in the company and audience alike.

Sadly their relationship was forced to end, when Margot's wayward husband, Tito de Arias, was shot by the husband of one of his Lovers. Instead of filing for divorce, as was planned Margot continued dancing into her old age, to pay his medical costs. Thus denighing herself happiness. :D

Clairemarie Osta and Nicolas Le Riche in Roland Petit's Clavigo were really special because of the intensity they put on it and their expressiveness, too. They were just them, and you weren't under the impression they were playing their parts. It was just them.

They remind me of a pair that didn't danced but skated, the wonderful Ekaterina Gordeeva and the late Sergei Grinkov.

:)

Clairemarie Osta and Nicolas Le Riche in Roland Petit's Clavigo were really special because of the intensity they put on it and their expressiveness, too. They were just them, and you weren't under the impression they were playing their parts. It was just them.

They remind me of a pair that didn't danced but skated, the wonderful Ekaterina Gordeeva and the late Sergei Grinkov.

Hi cyneblanc :D Thank you for your reply, I agree C.M. Osta and Nick Le Riche, they are excellent, I too have the DVD of this work, it is fabulos, though a bit risque (naughty) !!! Le Riche is an excellent Actor though, have you seen him in Sylvia, with the lovely Aurelie Dupont ? I think that Nick and Claire- Marie also have two little girls.

Seems love is in the air at the Paris Opera, and in recent times a baby boom !!! The latest couple Jeremie Belingard and Aurelie Dupont, also in the family way. I do not think they actually dance together very often, but now Manu Legris has semi retired who knows what the future could hold.

I htink Marian Walters nand his wife dance like they're in love. Check out their grand pdd from Sleeping Beauty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS_VZPaIow4 -- I would not want to see the whole ballet danced like this, it's too modern, but for the pdd as an excerpt, I think they make it romantic and courtly and poignant and really really LOVELY, and also make Petipa look completely prophetic (which itself is RIGHT ON). His devotion to her is a glorious thing.

We're talking about dancers with exceptional technique. People who are intimate with one another, whether as very close friends or as part of romantic/sexual relationship, may have the ability to go beyond their individual techniques. A successful intimate relationship requires a high levels of trust and generosity, as well as awareness of, and responsiveness to, the other. It makes sense that this would work especially well for ballet partners as well.

On the other side of the coin, have there been real-life "couples" for whom this onstage chemistry does NOT seem to work?

We're talking about dancers with exceptional technique. People who are intimate with one another, whether as very close friends or as part of romantic/sexual relationship, may have the ability to go beyond their individual techniques. A successful intimate relationship requires a high levels of trust and generosity, as well as awareness of, and responsiveness to, the other. It makes sense that this would work especially well for ballet partners as well.

On the other side of the coin, have there been real-life "couples" for whom this onstage chemistry does NOT seem to work?

:) Hi Bart., In answer to your last point about a relationship not working, it is only human nature that there may be times when a couple who are rehearsing, may not agree, but in most circumstances, unless in fact the "couple" is failing and there is a loss of trust or affection for each other, as in life itself, usually the Dance Couple are professional enou to work things out. One has to consider there may be a third party such as a Coach involved, who would not appreciate personal tiffs or stropes.

It is no wonder that these people find a common bond, as you so rightly express. They begin working together from the early time in their careers, and in general unless injury or sickness intervenes, once two people are cast as a "pair" from day one, they usually dance together until one may be promoted before the other. Even from the Corp de Ballet up through the ranks the same pairs exist. When maybe a relationship forms, with someone else for example at the height of their career, it often turns out that they have known each other for years, going back to being at school together. Ballet is a very closed world, some Dancers have a life outside their art, but others choose to stay with the people they have grown up with.

I htink Marian Walters nand his wife dance like they're in love. Check out their grand pdd from Sleeping Beauty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS_VZPaIow4 -- I would not want to see the whole ballet danced like this, it's too modern, but for the pdd as an excerpt, I think they make it romantic and courtly and poignant and really really LOVELY, and also make Petipa look completely prophetic (which itself is RIGHT ON). His devotion to her is a glorious thing.

:) Hi Paul

Thank you so much for posting this link to Youtube, with the lovely couple you mentioned. I actually enjoyed them in Flower Festival, a charming piece, which I have personal memories of working with (many yonks ago,!!)

Talking about Sleeping Beauty you say it is too modern? Do you mean that is because the lack of scenery, I am somewhat puzzled, as the choreography is the original, Or do you mean the show of affection/emotion ?

The point is that The Prince is in love with Princess Aurora from the moment he see's her image brought to him by The Lilac Fairy in the Vision Sequence. In the beginning of this Act, in Nureyevs POB version, there is a wonderful pas seul where the Prince is sad and lonely. Before which the Lilac Fairy appears and mimes to him "why are you crying?" to which he replies "I do not have love in my heart" and she tells him she will show him a vision of a beautiful princess. Which of course she does, and shows Aurora to him. And he rescues her and they live happily ever after!!! I think it is marvelous when Dancers narturelly live emotion and feelings in their faces and eye's. Which is something that people in love do not need to put on, or can hide, it is in their expression, and comes from the heart. :D

Two couples that haven't been mentioned yet whose performances certainly seem/ed to benefit from their offstage relationship: Ekaterina Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev, as well as Alina Cojocaru and Johann Kobborg.

And one that didn't: Asylmuratova and Zaklinsky (or is that just me?)

Two couples that haven't been mentioned yet whose performances certainly seem/ed to benefit from their offstage relationship: Ekaterina Maximova and Vladimir Vasiliev, as well as Alina Cojocaru and Johann Kobborg.

No,it's not you. Asylmuratova and Zaklinsky had absolutely no chemistry on stage. One of the reasons might be,that she was a great dancer and he was merely good.

I know that Irina and Max, from ABT are very much married, with a beautiful little girl, Emma. :smilie_mondieu: But, I've never seen them dance together, except in small youtube clips of the Pas from Corsaire that Arte broadcast, and that seemed to be filmed to show love. But, her smile does light up as soon as she sees him, and it is lovely to watch.

lucia Lacarra and cyril pierre are a couple and I was very favorably impressed by their connection when I saw them in NYC at the stars of the 21st century gala.

of course one of the most passionate couples I've seen is Ferri and Bocca and while they clearly had a very deep connection they were never romantically involved.

:smilie_mondieu:

:wub: Ostrich, Thank you for these three couples, all equisite partnerships, The oldest Maximove and Vasiev, I saw live when they were younger, it was a amazing experience, you can see them on the Essential Ballet DVD , in their second youth, dancing Anyulta Pas de deux other which I think he choreographed fo his wife. it is very much in the Russian Folk character, and quite charming.

Next Alina and Johan, they performed in Ashton's Cinderella, then a beautiful Royal Ballet new version of Giselle on UK TV, and just the way they relate and looked at each other suggested there was more than their career's in common, which has now been confirmed in the press.

Finaly, another of my all time favourite Ballerinas. the wonderful Kirov (Vaganova trained) Altynai Asl. and her husband Zaklin. yes they did do a few touching performances, though admitted to arguing at rehearsals, still the results were brilliant, look out for them dancing Tudor's The Leaves are Fading/Falling, where they are very in tune with each other. It must have been difficult as he was much older than her. I have seen them dance live in London when guesting in the West. In a Sunday newspaper interview Altynai said that Konstatin was a very good cook, and managed the chores, keeping their small daughter Anastasia amused in their appartment while she was absent performing. Obviously a supportive husband. I think Altynai is now the Director of the Vaganova Academy in St Petersburgh. :wub:

Agnes Letetsu and Jose Martinez are/were (???) a couple, and, from what I can see, they almost have anti-chemistry. Their Swan Lake was positively frigid. Their Paquita (also on dvd) was also pretty sterile

Well Cambelto, I totally agree, as I have already mentioned in this subject (under POB releases) Letescue is not my favourite Dancer, her acting skills are very shallow, and leave me cold... sorry to be so critical. However, in purely technical terms she is good, if only she could put more depth and feeling into her portrayal, in her case even over acting !!! :smilie_mondieu:

lucia Lacarra and cyril pierre are a couple and I was very favorably impressed by their connection when I saw them in NYC at the stars of the 21st century gala.

of course one of the most passionate couples I've seen is Ferri and Bocca and while they clearly had a very deep connection they were never romantically involved.

Hi Aurora : :wub: Lucia and Cyril former POB dancers, yes they are truly connected, beutiful partnering in control by him, lovely responses from her. I think they are a very lovely couple, well matched and a dream to watch.

NBoC's Heather Ogden and Guillaume Cote have always had great chemistry (they were often paired together early in their careers, before they were dating). Having seen them dance together before and after they've become romantically involved, sometimes I think I see a special closeness in their recent performances. However, it's very hard to tell if this has to do with their general development as dancers and actors (Ogden, especially, seems to have come out of her shell in the last couple years), or their relationship off-stage, or bias on my part as a viewer knowing that they are dating.

Marcia Haydee and Richard Cragun were a couple in real life and from their few telecasts, it seems as if they were indeed something special. But then there were some long-time couples who never seemed to catch the public eye's as a real "partnership" (Diana Vishneva and Farukh Ruzimatov, or, nowadays, Gillian Murphy and Ethan Stiefel).

Agnes Oaks and Toomas Edur of the English National Ballet are a married couple who dance together with such synchronicity as to be spellbinding. They are the epitome of a romantic couple, both on and off stage. Toomas makes for a superb supportive partner on whom Agnes can totally depend. Their sensuality when dancing is almost palpable. Their lines echo and complement each other, and they give the impression of one entity split into two symbiotically moving parts. A partnership made in heaven and nurtured through love!

Agnes Oaks and Toomas Edur of the English National Ballet are a married couple who dance together with such synchronicity as to be spellbinding. They are the epitome of a romantic couple, both on and off stage. Toomas makes for a superb supportive partner on whom Agnes can totally depend. Their sensuality when dancing is almost palpable. Their lines echo and complement each other, and they give the impression of one entity split into two symbiotically moving parts. A partnership made in heaven and nurtured through love!

:wub::wub:

I could not have put this better myself, also it is possible to see them in the UK, hopefully even on tour in the provinces. There are some good theatre's that regurlarly promote Ballet. The only problem being the size of stages.