• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

I'm still thinking about this.......this is a fun thread.

Several have mentioned the pdd from Diamonds. Along the same line I would add the pdd from Rubies.

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

I'm still thinking about this.......this is a fun thread.

Several have mentioned the pdd from Diamonds. Along the same line I would add the pdd from Rubies.

The "Rubies" pdd is truly unique. And there's the "walking pas de deux" in "Emeralds," which has an otherworldly quality unlike any other I can think of offhand.

#18 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:44 PM

What a fun thread! I'll play, too.

White Swan PDD
Emeralds "walking" PDD
Rubies PDD
Giselle Act II PDD
Cinderella Act III PDD -- Possokhov (The most moving reunion of Cinderella and the Prince I'd ever seen, very tender while also a bit sexy. Zakharova and Filin were beautiful.)
Theme and Variations PDD -- with Kirkland and Baryshnikov
Tchaikovsky PDD
Nutcracker Grand PDD -- Nureyev
Sleeping Beauty Grand PDD
Paquita PDD

#19 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:13 PM

My favorites:

Tchaikovsky pdd
Bayadere "Shades" pas de deux
Giselle Act 2 pdd
White Swan adagio
Symphony in C second movement pdd (does this count?)
Grand pas classique
Manon 'swamp' pdd

#20 Solnishka79

Solnishka79

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:04 PM

I absolutely love Gamzatti and Solor in Bayadere as well as Nikiya/Solor in Shades. (I'm a big Bayadere fan-sorry!!) I also love the Balcony Scene pas from MacMillian.
My llllleeeeeeaaaaasssttttt favorite pas is Spectre de la Rose. I just can't stand the premise, the music, the costumes, the choreography. My vote for "most unnecessary pas" is Peasant Pas in Giselle.

#21 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

When Peasant Pas is part of the entertainment for the hunting party's visit (surprisingly it isn't always :) ), it makes just as much sense, IMO, as the national dances in Act III Swan Lake. And if you get a wonderful pair of dancers, ... I've seen a few Giselles where the PPdD was the high point of the night, and while that does not sound like a good thing, in some instances it was. :)

I thought I could live without Spectre, too, until I saw Herman Cornejo dance it. Now I can't wait to see him do it again. And again. And again!

But when I think of the topic of this thread, I do not think of particular dancers in the roles, or else I would be tempted to list some very bad ballet as danced by rather extraordinary individuals. Kind of an "I never thought I'd ever enjoy that, but wow!" Nah, that's giving the choreography credit for something the dancer did.

#22 Charming_Lise

Charming_Lise

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 05:22 AM

This is a fun thread! :smilie_mondieu:

My favourite pas de deux are:

Diana and Aceteon
Black swan
Alaskan Rag from Elite Syncopations
Muņecos
Don Quioxte act 3 pdd
The leaves are fading
Prokofiev PDD

#23 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

This is a fun thread! :smilie_mondieu:

Diana and Aceteon
Black swan
Muņecos
Don Quioxte act 3 pdd
The leaves are fading
Prokofiev PDD

Charming Lise, we're in the same boat...
Out of your seven choices, i'll take D&A, BS, M and DQ. To the list i'll add Tchaikowsky PDD and Flames of Paris PDD
(BTW, did you ever get to see Munecos with Cary and Fernandito ( RIP) ?

#24 Solnishka79

Solnishka79

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:32 AM

When Peasant Pas is part of the entertainment for the hunting party's visit (surprisingly it isn't always :smilie_mondieu: ), it makes just as much sense, IMO, as the national dances in Act III Swan Lake. And if you get a wonderful pair of dancers, ... I've seen a few Giselles where the PPdD was the high point of the night, and while that does not sound like a good thing, in some instances it was. :wub:

I actually like Peasant Pas but if it isn't in correct context (like the hunting party, etc.) it's like a random piece inserted. I think it would be a wonderful concert piece and it's a shame it's not used in that sense more often.

#25 Solnishka79

Solnishka79

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

I've thought of a few more!

Sleeping Beauty Act II Vision Pas
Apollo
Agon pas de deux
In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated-think Sylvie
Satanella-for cuteness.
Les Sylphides was mentioned and I completely agree!

This is such an interesting topic and I'm sure all of us could keep going for months as we recall various pas

#26 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:34 PM

Thanks to those who mentioned Balanchine's Tchaikovsky pdd. That's a marvelous one, too.

I did think of the Agon pdd, but I'm not sure if I don't admire it more than I really love it.

In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated-think Sylvie

I think you're right.

That's a fun one, too.

#27 Charming_Lise

Charming_Lise

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

This is a fun thread! :yahoo:

Diana and Aceteon
Black swan
Muņecos
Don Quioxte act 3 pdd
The leaves are fading
Prokofiev PDD

Charming Lise, we're in the same boat...
Out of your seven choices, i'll take D&A, BS, M and DQ. To the list i'll add Tchaikowsky PDD and Flames of Paris PDD
(BTW, did you ever get to see Munecos with Cary and Fernandito ( RIP) ?

No I haven't seen Muņecos live unfortuantly. I have seen it on You tube with two dancers from English National ballet
Venus Villa and Yat-Seng Chang in rehearsal and a performance video with Xiomara Reyes and Yat.
Do you know who composed the music for it? It's beautiful.

#28 Alina

Alina

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:29 PM

I agree with so many of the previously mentioned favorites but I am surprised no one has mentioned either the dream or letter pas de deux from Cranko's Onegin. I particularly love the letter pas de deux. Of course the cast is crucial as well. I have seen them live many times but there are some great ones to be viewed on UTube.

#29 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:09 PM

No I haven't seen Muņecos live unfortuantly. I have seen it on You tube with two dancers from English National ballet
Venus Villa and Yat-Seng Chang in rehearsal and a performance video with Xiomara Reyes and Yat.
Do you know who composed the music for it? It's beautiful.

It is indeed beautiful. It's by cuban musician/composer Rembert Egues and coreography by Alberto Alonso. Caridad Martinez, (whom i have mentioned before as an example regarding black dancers getting their way to the top) originated the role of the doll, and Fernandito (Jhones, RIP) that of the soldier...I got to see them when i was a kid, and they were adorable.

#30 PeggyR

PeggyR

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

After seeing yesterday's performance of the pdd from After the Rain at SFB, I'm going to add this to my list of favorites. I suspect every viewing and every cast would reveal something different. Can't wait to see it again.

Peggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):