This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Favorite pas de deux?

Mine is the pas de deux from 'The Leaves Are Fading'.

I've said this before, but I have to mention it again because I just came back from seeing the NYCB Midsummer Night's Dream. The 2nd act pas de deux - Divertissement. I think it's one of the best ever created. In fact for me, it is like a great work of Bach in that it feels so inevitable that it seems to be revealed not created. Few pieces of dance move me like this pas de deux does.

It seems I'll be doing nothing but repeating what has already been mentioned. But here goes...

Balanchine:

The Step PDD from Emeralds

Diamond PDD

Agon

Divertissement PDD from A Midsummer Night Dream

Tchaikovsky PPD

Second PPD from Stravinsky Volin Concerto

Duo Concertant

Nutcracker PPD

Robbins:

Afternoon of a Faun

Other Dances

Tudor:

Leaves are Fading

MacMillian:

Balcony PDD from Romeo and Juliet

Bedroom PDD from Manon

Ashton:

Final PDD from A Month in the Country

Oberon and Titania from The Dream

Wheeldon:

PDD from After the Rain. There's a video on YouTube with Damian Smith and Yuan Yuan Tan from San Francisco Ballet that is simply breathtaking!!

Jiri Kylian:

Nuages - I discovered this on YouTube. Beautifully profound.

And of course the following...

Black Swan PDD

Giselle PDD - Second Act

Sleeping Beauty Grand PDD

The Shades PDD from La Bayadere

There are many lovely pas de deux, but if I were stranded on a desert island (!) I would be happy to watch MacMillan's R & J balcony pdd over and over again! Many many years ago there was an exhibition of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, showing both the opera and ballet companies. It was in the days before video and so it was very thrilling to be able to watch ballet extracts on TV screens dotted round the exhibition. One of them was that balcony pdd with Fonteyn and Nureyev and I just stood there watching it multiple times, unable to drag myself away from it!

Oh yes and the final pdd of Cranko's Onegin is DIVINE! The emotion in it when Onegin grovels at Tatiana's feet and then she sends him away. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry!!!!