Australian greetingsIntroduction

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 whetherwax

whetherwax

• PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

I watched Ballet Russes last year was overwhelmed and realised that there was a vast intriguing world to explore. I had had a few lessons as a child but now saw that there was history, technique, biography, physicality,beauty, art, music, intellectual nitty gritty, etc to discover. To that end I have been buying second hand ballet tomes of all kinds - Loved Danilova's autobiography - and lurking on Ballet Talk. I have also been buying DVDs so as to compare and learn.
I have also started ballet classes - at 67 - this affords my immediate family a vast resevoir of humour ( I believe my son rolled on the floor when he heard and friends go quiet ) but it gives me a chance to learn the names of steps and a challenging workout. (I've worked out NOT to do jumps.) So I take this opportunity to thank those who set up and maintain this wondrous intellectual resource. regards.

#2 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

Welcome to Ballet Talk, whetherwax; it's great to have you with us. What a wonderful story! We have many adult students but you are something unique. I hope that with all the ballet things you are buying/studying you will get to know and love this glorious art. Thank you for your compliments; they mean the world to us.

Giannina

#3 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:19 PM

I have also started ballet classes - at 67 -

You are an inspiration! :) Kudos to you!

#4 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,244 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:25 PM

I have also started ballet classes - at 67 -

I SO have to pass those glass doors of the MCB studio and stop watching the adult class through the window...one of this days...Now I'm totally embarrassed after reading your story. :tomato:

#5 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:36 AM

I have also started ballet classes - at 67 - this affords my immediate family a vast resevoir of humour ( I believe my son rolled on the floor when he heard and friends go quiet ) but it gives me a chance to learn the names of steps and a challenging workout. (I've worked out NOT to do jumps.)

Welcometo Ballet Talk, whetherwax. I identify, having started ballet classes 3 years ago after 60.

The humor that friends and family used to find in this is now replaced by respect -- and, among those of our age, by not a little envy. I do what I can, which is amazingly more than I thought it would be. I've discovered, much to my surprise, that this includes both jumps and turns, something I never would have expected.

But, like Balanchine, I still find spiritual enrichment in a well-done tendu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):