This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NY Theatre Ballet Marks Tudor's 100th Birthday

From the Company:

CELEBRATE ANTONY TUDOR'S BIRTHDAY FRIDAY, APRIL 4 WITH NEW YORK THEATRE BALLET

AS THE COMPANY REPEATS ACCLAIMED PERFORMANCE

NYTB Presents a Mix of Classic & New Ballets April 11 -12

New York, NY -- Back by popular demand, New York Theatre Ballet reprises its critically acclaimed Signatures 08 performance -- and on Antony Tudor's actual birthday, April 4 -- at 7:30 pm at Florence Gould Hall, 55 East 59th Street. Celebrating the centenaries of both Tudor and Jose Limon's births, the program opens with Limon's Mazurkas, staged by Sarah Stackhouse. Tudor's Jardin aux Lilas, Little Improvisations and Judgment of Paris, are staged by renowned Tudor interpreter Sallie Wilson, who has faithfully restored these small classic masterworks to his original vision. "I would be happy to see this same program again," stated critic Alastair Macaulay who gave the company a glowing review in The New York Times. (read more reviews at http://www.voiceofdance.org and http://www.danceviewtimes.com/2008/02/signatures-08-a.html)

The following weekend, Friday & Saturday, April 11 & 12 @ 7:30 pm, NYTB returns with a mixed repertory of seldom seen classic works and new ballets, including Antony Tudor's Fandango and Les Mains Gauches, along with the premiere of a new ballet created especially for New York Theatre Ballet by Matthew Neenan, co-founder of Philadelphia dance company BalletX. The ballet, an ensemble work performed as a series of duets and trios, is set to Georges Bizet's Jeux d'Enfants. Like the music, the ballet promises to be sweet and playful while at the same time haunting and mysterious.

The company will also perform Le Combat by William Dollar, a leading dancer with New York City Ballet and the American Ballet Theatre in the mid 1900s. The duet, originally staged in London in 1949, is a dramatic tale that centers on a young woman not recognized by her lover, who then kills her in a duel.

Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at www.nytb.org or by calling Ticketmaster at 212-307-4100. Tickets can also be purchased at the Florence Gould Hall Box Office (212-355-6160) Tuesday through Friday from 12 noon -- 7pm and on Saturday from 12 noon to 4pm.

# # #

We have been asked by the company to note the following:

Thanks for the reminder, carbro. I'll be combining the Le Combat/Rare Tudors program with Kirov-City Center on the weekend of the 12th. What luck!

NYTB is a gem of a troupe. I would strongly urge ballet-lovers who travel to NYC for the Kirov to try to add an NYTB performance to their itineraries, as I'm doing.