How important is it to be tall for a male dancer?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Richka

Richka

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

Well, Baryshnikov and Edward Villella were considered short. Baryshnikov is about 5'8". I think anyone over 6' would be considered tall. For a woman I'm not as sure, but I recall reading that Julie Kent was one of ABT's tallest ballerinas at 5'7". I know ABT has at least one female corps member who is 5'9". Maybe a female dancer would be considered short at 5'2"?

I don't think Baryshnikov is 5'8" because when I talked with him, and being a former member of ABT I often did, he seemed a bit shorter and I'm only 5' 7" and I always thought 'Oh, at last, someone is shorter than me'.
Cynthia Gregory always had to worry about partners because of her height. That's why she was relieved when Godunov joined the company. Remember him? Ivan Nage was also OK for her but felt better with Makarova. I forgot who partnered Cynthia in Firebird but possibly Nage. I'm going back here to the Golden Years of ABT.

#62 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:05 PM

Well, I don't pretend to be able to guess someone's height right down to the inch. :wallbash: I just know that when I stood next to him at barre, we were approximately the same height.

#63 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,571 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

In today's Links there is a mini-interview with Baryshnikov by Barbara Isenberg in the LA Times blog spot, which says that Baryshnikov is "just 5-foot-7".

http://ballettalk.in...p...st&p=254495

#64 leonid

leonid

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:54 AM

In today's Links there is a mini-interview with Baryshnikov by Barbara Isenberg in the LA Times blog spot, which says that Baryshnikov is "just 5-foot-7".

http://ballettalk.in...p...st&p=254495

Mme. Hermine reminded me of the Dick Cavett interview with Sir Frederick Ashton who said Nijinsky was shorter than himself. I put Sir Frederick at about 5'4".

#65 ltraiger

ltraiger

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

Hmm. I can't believe that reports note Baryshnikov's height at 5'7". I'm 5'1" and I recall practically looking him in the eye and the only person he seemed taller than in the room that evening (besides me) was Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

In any case, there are taller companies and shorter companies. In recent years, for example, Ballet West seems to be filled with giants, men and women, who all seem to be at least 5'11" or more...

#66 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,571 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:00 AM

Houston Ballet seemed to have a slew of very tall thin men throughout the ranks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):