Spartacus with AcostaRelease Date

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fandeballet

fandeballet

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:40 AM

When Carlos Acosta danced the title role of Spartacus with the Bolshoi this past January in Paris, there was talk of a dvd release of those performances. Please, anyone who finds out please let us know if and when it will be released!?!?

#2 perky

perky

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

I had read somewhere recently that his performance was filmed, but that's all I know :bow:

#3 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,160 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:01 PM

No release date, but confirmation that an Acosta "Spartacus" was filmed for DVD release has been confirmed by Marc Haegemann in the Spring 2008 edition of danceviewtimes. Writing about the Bolshoi's visit to Paris this January, he writes:

Even the Orchestre Colonne surpassed itself with the unfamiliar Khatchaturian score, although for a performance filmed for DVD release the Bolshoi's own orchestra would have been far preferable.

#4 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

Acosta "Spartacus" filmed at Bolshoi's visit to Paris this January will be broadcasted in June 30 in Japan's NHK.
The filmed performance is 19/22 of January.

#5 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:41 AM

Here's the information sheet from the Decca web site. Perhaps sharper eyes than mine can find the release date.
http://www.deccaclas...dvd/0743303.htm

I can't say I agree with this:

...this is the first major DVD/video of Spartacus since the Bolshoi's own performances from the 70s.

What about the two films with Irek Mukhamedov?

#6 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:37 AM

...Perhaps sharper eyes than mine can find the release date.

From Amazon "up there":
DVD: October 28, $26.99
Blu-Ray: November 18, $23.95

#7 WindFlyer

WindFlyer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:43 PM

From Amazon "up there":
DVD: October 28, $26.99
Blu-Ray: November 18, $23.95

Thanks, this is excellent news. :blushing:

My only disappointment is that we *don't* get la Shipulina as Aegina :)

#8 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

I finally finished watching the Acosta version of "Spartacus." I preferred the Vasiliev version. The repetition was excessive in the Acosta version.

Kaptsova is very lovely, but see seemed to be acting the emotional aspects, rather than convincingly portraying that she was feeling them. I thought maybe she was too young to understand what she was put on stage to express. I still like to watch her, think she moves beautifully, and have enjoyed her in other ballets. Maria Allash was more dramatically convincing in a less sympathetic part, although she seemed to tire during certain scenes. The men were exhausted by the end, and rightfully so.

Can anyone translate what the Emporer's army's staff said?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):