This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

State Ballet of Georgia - Giselle

After a less than stellar attempt at a mixed bill; Nina Ananishvili in true Giselle spirit danced; and her company,much like Albrecht, made it through the night.

The State Ballet of Georgia began a run of Giselle's on Friday night (2/15) at Berkeley's Zellerbach Hall. I managed to see Saturday's performance with Ananishvili as Giselle. She is marvelously charming and it is easy to include her in the top dozen or so Giselle that I have seen. The production is simple and follows the traditional format - with the interesting take that Albrecht has to have Wilfrid toss money to the woman in the house where he stores his sword.

Overall the dancing in the first act is solid, Vasil Akhmeteli, was not the most inspired Albrecht but seemed to have no problem believing that the problems he caused were not his problem. One observation - the company when dancing as a group has some difficulty in ending dance phrases in the same position.

In the pas de six, Lasha and David Khozashvili (same last names) seemed to be competing for something or other. I wold have given a prize if they could have simply finished in fifth together.

Lasha had been Albrecht on Friday night and was one of the two saving graces in the Triple Bill on Thursday. Mark this fellow for future reference. (I went back on Sunday to see the first act with He as Albrecht partnering Anna Muradeli - and found them more emotionally together than Ananishvili and Akhmeteli)

Now...lets get to Saturday's Act Two -Nino Ochiauri was Myrta. Fantastic! This act was worth the price of admission. Ms Ochiauri was regal, serene, glorious. Totally surprised me and made me think back to Martine Van Hamel.

Overall, a good grade of B+ for this Giselle. Act Two gets an A.

Observation - there were a number of SF ballet dancers in house during this Berkeley run. Georgia seems to grow tall dancers. Not the case with SF Ballet.

This last Saturday I went to see the State Ballet of Georgia performing, Giselle. I eagerly anticipated this event! I must say that I really enjoyed myself. The corps was very clean. The men were a little shaky, but I was most excited to see Nina Ananiashvili dance the role of Giselle. She is also the AD of this company. I thought her portrayal was brilliant. Her mad scene was very convincing. However, my dancer friends and I (seated on either side of me) kept looking through our opera glasses (though we did not need them because our seats were very good- I just like to watch feet!) She did not stretch her feet in saute', or any jumps or small transitions for that matter. They looked very "wonky" for lack of better term. I could not stop looking, but I forced myself to stop, so I would not be so distracted and could continue to enjoy the performance. Maybe she is recovering from an injury? I must say, she is beautiful and her acting is not easily surpassed. Her port de bras were gorgeous and epaulement divine! The left foot was weak.

I really enjoyed this performance and I am glad to have seen Nina. I am just curious if anyone knows of injuries, or has noticed the same thing for her recently? I did look of up some older footage, and did not notice this foot problem.

I love Giselle...have music in my head still... :)

It has been a few years since I have seen Ananiashvilli's 'Giselle'. I was never enthusiastic about her 'Giselle' and purposely avoided it. However, since she has always been one of my favorites and is nearing the end of her career I have tickets to see her 'Giselle' during the ABT season in July. She would be a marvelous Myrtha. (Vishneva's Giselle and Ananiashvilli's Myrtha :smilie_mondieu: ) Danilova also danced Myrtha at about the same age Ananiashvilli is today and it would be wonderful to see a ballerina of Ananiashvilli's stature dance it today.

It has been a few years since I have seen Ananiashvilli's 'Giselle'. I was never enthusiastic about her 'Giselle' and purposely avoided it. However, since she has always been one of my favorites and is nearing the end of her career I have tickets to see her 'Giselle' during the ABT season in July. She would be a marvelous Myrtha. (Vishneva's Giselle and Ananiashvilli's Myrtha :thumbsup: ) Danilova also danced Myrtha at about the same age Ananiashvilli is today and it would be wonderful to see a ballerina of Ananiashvilli's stature dance it today.

I would be curious to see if you notice anything about her footwork in July...