This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

State Ballet of Georgia - Mixed Bill

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Natalia. I only saw her once, with ABT (but also as Kitri), and that was only 4-5 years ago.

#17 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

I saw Nina as Odette/Odile last summer with ABT (with a superb Corella in his best Prince Siegfried ever!). I didn't think she looked physically or technically over the hill at all. She is scheduled to dance Kitri this coming June 14th. Now "Don Quixote" is on a level of technical difficulty where an over-the-hill dancer can't hide. "Swan Lake" has lyrical sections that can flatter an older dancer with strong emotional projection and musical phrasing.

#18 aurora

aurora

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

I saw Nina as Odette/Odile last summer with ABT (with a superb Corella in his best Prince Siegfried ever!). I didn't think she looked physically or technically over the hill at all. She is scheduled to dance Kitri this coming June 14th. Now "Don Quixote" is on a level of technical difficulty where an over-the-hill dancer can't hide. "Swan Lake" has lyrical sections that can flatter an older dancer with strong emotional projection and musical phrasing.

I agree completely.
I think perhaps she did not look up to her old level (her fouettes were good--they used to be breathtakingly speedy and precise--they weren't that anymore but they were still as good as most!) but she definitely did not look over the hill.

I felt less impressed about her bayadere, which really did not seem to be her best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):