• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Treefrog

Treefrog

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Natalia. I only saw her once, with ABT (but also as Kitri), and that was only 4-5 years ago.

#17 FauxPas

FauxPas

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

I saw Nina as Odette/Odile last summer with ABT (with a superb Corella in his best Prince Siegfried ever!). I didn't think she looked physically or technically over the hill at all. She is scheduled to dance Kitri this coming June 14th. Now "Don Quixote" is on a level of technical difficulty where an over-the-hill dancer can't hide. "Swan Lake" has lyrical sections that can flatter an older dancer with strong emotional projection and musical phrasing.

#18 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:23 AM

I saw Nina as Odette/Odile last summer with ABT (with a superb Corella in his best Prince Siegfried ever!). I didn't think she looked physically or technically over the hill at all. She is scheduled to dance Kitri this coming June 14th. Now "Don Quixote" is on a level of technical difficulty where an over-the-hill dancer can't hide. "Swan Lake" has lyrical sections that can flatter an older dancer with strong emotional projection and musical phrasing.

I agree completely.
I think perhaps she did not look up to her old level (her fouettes were good--they used to be breathtakingly speedy and precise--they weren't that anymore but they were still as good as most!) but she definitely did not look over the hill.

I felt less impressed about her bayadere, which really did not seem to be her best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):