This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Moiseyev - 71st anniversary / Berkeley

On Sunday, the Moiseyev Ballet celebrated the 71st anniversary of its founding.

The company was here in Berkeley performing (4 shows, Friday to Sunday) and began each performance with a tribute to its founder.

As to the dancing, it tended to take the audience's breath away and bring forth lots of cheers. Listening during the intermission, one heard mainly Russian being spoken as conversations drifted to memories of the dances back home.

What did I make of it? Must admit I had only seen the company on video - going back to Ed Sullivan when I was not quite a teen; so I was looking for flying feet and impressive choreography. The choreography was impressive but more in the sense of how masses of people can be moved around the stage to create effects.

The dancers are of a high caliber and probably have great cardio-vascular systems.

Glad I went...won't travel to see them, but will go if they are in Berkeley or San Francisco.

Glad I went...won't travel to see them, but will go if they are in Berkeley or San Francisco.
That is a very clear assessment, ggobob. Thanks.

Maybe the Moiseyev, like so many other troupes, is suffering a dip in standards without its founder and driving force.

Thanks, ggoboab. The Moiseyev Company is coming to our city in a couple of weeks, which will be my first viewing in quite a while. I also first saw them on the Sullivan Show, and your report confirms my own memories of performances over the years in New York City.