This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Romeo and Juliet:last night at La Scala

87Sigfried87

Just a few lines to describe the first of the ballet,MacMillan's version(as usual!I don't even like MacMillan as choreographer....),Roberto Bolle and Alina Cojocaru playing the two protagonists.

Alina is one of the best Juliets i've ever seen!she is a very beautiful ballerina,both for her lines,her technique,her extensions(used with a very good taste!),and for the perfect interpretation.A friend of mine told me she was able to keep the role for the whole performance without missing one single moment and expression.It was so.Amazing scene of Juliet playing with the Nurse,a very young and naive Alina...so real(which is not so common in ballerinas nowadays!)!

The balcony scene was so moving!also because it was one of the few moments in which Roberto was there not just physically but also with his mind.

I knew Alina was such a great ballerina,I loved her when I saw her Sleeping Beauty,but couldn't imagine she could be such a real Juliet too.A very different one from Ferri's way of performing the role.Ferri was more a "nasty" girl,also in playing with the nurse,Cojocaru was on the other hand very sweet and naive.

I was surprised also by the fact that she didn't stereotype her character in one or two expressions but she had a big range of emotions and you could see her growing with her love for Romeo, becoming a woman,changing with the situations.It was really like watching a movie.

Bolle is always the same:In some moments he was there and he was credible in the role,in many other moments he "wore the mask"of the melancholic prince(better for Swan Lake)or it seemed as if he was making a big effort to feel the moment,the situation,but looked instead much faker;this happened especially in the death scenes.Technically perfect anyway!

Congratulations to the corps of ballet and especially to the two friends of Romeo and the soloist of the mandoline:Zeni,Sutera ans Licitra.Very,very good both technically and expressively talking.

I enjoyed the performance very much,i never got bored,which is not so common in ballets like this one,and got the autograph of the very shy Alina!

as far as I know, links to youtube aren't allowed, but, for those interested, there is a clip from an italian news broadcast showing bits of the performance up on youtube now. Its titled Romeo e Giulietta alla Scala--so I'd imagine searching those terms would bring it up....