Gelsey Kirkland

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Bradan

Bradan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

These videos been taken off YouTube by now, but there's a clip of Kirkland's variation from Theme and Variations on this site - http://www.mystagepro.com/trinarina (click through to video and scroll down) - which is completely stunning.

There's also a silent clip of her first act Giselle variation, which looks like it's from rehearsal footage - it seems to be one of the two tapes that were edited together to make the Giselle clip that was posted on YouTube a while back. Does anyone know where it comes from?

#62 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:47 PM

There's also a silent clip of her first act Giselle variation, which looks like it's from rehearsal footage - it seems to be one of the two tapes that were edited together to make the Giselle clip that was posted on YouTube a while back. Does anyone know where it comes from?

If you check the on-line catalog of the New York Public Library/Performing Arts Collection (www.nypl.org), you can sometimes learn interesting tidbits about these clips. It appears that Kirkland donated to the Library many tapes of rehearsals and performances, often recorded in silence. The YouTube clip had the piano accompaniment added later and you'll see on YouTube that it was posted with permission from Kirkland.

Some tapes in the NYPL collection say they were "preserved with support provided in part by Save America's Treasures through a partnership between the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Park Service." Although these generally are not of the quality that could be shown on television (and I'm sure there are frightful issues of permissions from all the performers involved), at least we have footage preserved of great performances from the 1970s by Kirkland, Baryshnikov, and many others. Only researchers who can get to the NYPL library can see them, alas, but we can hope that some day some of this material will be used in documentaries or somehow distributed to educational institutions around the country.

PS: Thanks for that link. If you scroll down, you'll find all sorts of goodies -- which will no doubt be removed from viewing very soon -- take a look ASAP.
PPS: Am I the only one who is amused that the Chinese channel has so far fended off pressure to remove their copyrighted material by you-know-who?

#63 Bradan

Bradan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:22 AM

If you check the on-line catalog of the New York Public Library/Performing Arts Collection (www.nypl.org), you can sometimes learn interesting tidbits about these clips. It appears that Kirkland donated to the Library many tapes of rehearsals and performances, often recorded in silence. The YouTube clip had the piano accompaniment added later and you'll see on YouTube that it was posted with permission from Kirkland.

Some tapes in the NYPL collection say they were "preserved with support provided in part by Save America's Treasures through a partnership between the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Park Service." Although these generally are not of the quality that could be shown on television (and I'm sure there are frightful issues of permissions from all the performers involved), at least we have footage preserved of great performances from the 1970s by Kirkland, Baryshnikov, and many others. Only researchers who can get to the NYPL library can see them, alas, but we can hope that some day some of this material will be used in documentaries or somehow distributed to educational institutions around the country.

Thanks! Just spent some time going through the catalogue - yet another reason to try to get to New York again as soon as possible :)

PS: Thanks for that link. If you scroll down, you'll find all sorts of goodies -- which will no doubt be removed from viewing very soon -- take a look ASAP.

What I liked about it as well was the sense that this was someone's personal collection of things they liked over the years - nice to have a curated list rather than wading through YouTube for a change :wink:

#64 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

Thanks! Just spent some time going through the catalogue - yet another reason to try to get to New York again as soon as possible :)

What I liked about it as well was the sense that this was someone's personal collection of things they liked over the years - nice to have a curated list rather than wading through YouTube for a change :wink:

Are you kidding me...? :) This AMAZING catalogue is always one of the highlights of my trips to the city. I usually spend several hours wandering around old clips of the BRdMC and BT. The staff there is also SUPER friendly. You can actually request several entries at a time, and even if there's supposed to be a limited number-(I think 4 or 5..?)-they usually let you get away with way more than that. Highly recommended place! :thumbsup:

#65 Rosa

Rosa

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

#66 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

http://youtu.be/qb3KIwNhqLY

So lovely...

#67 Stage Right

Stage Right

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

I was fortunate enough to see one of her early performances with Baryshnikov in Canada, as well as a few later performances--there was no one quite like her. I agree with the comments above about her two books. I wish she would write another book! She must have many more interesting things to say about the art and her experiences since she was a performer.

#68 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Thanks, all, for these clips and comments. The fuzziness of the video is more than made up by the great clarity and detailing of the dancing.

I made a quick comparison with the Kistler/Zelensky performance in the 1993 Balanchine Celebration tape. I have always liked that, but Kirkland/Baryshnikov, dancing the same steps, show us ... more.

The Kistler/Zelensky performance was exquisite and truly beautiful. Kistler had so much control, more than in other ballets I have seen her in. Her body looked suited for this ballet. Zelensky partnered her with such elegance and matched her in beauty.

Does anyone have recommendations for viewing additional work by Zelensky?

#69 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:59 AM

The Gelsey Kirkland Academy has posted some interesting news about future plans. They have formed a Studio Company, with dancers on 32-week contracts, and refer to future plans for a Gelsey Kirkland Ballet company. They also acquired a collection of sets, costumes and props at a liquidation auction of the New York City Opera:

http://www.gelseykir...g/new-year-gka/

#70 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

The compilation is interesting for Kirkland and Makhalina. I think they will go down in history as 2 of the best. Kirkland starts dancing at 1:12. Can someone remind me what she is dancing? The music doesn't seem to match.

#71 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:52 PM

I had never seen that footage of Kirkland--it's marvelous. Thank you.

#72 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:02 AM

the Kirkland footage is silent, pirated film from her NYCB days, probably taken by Lucia Wayne, whose collection of such films is partly? in the NYPL Jerome Robbins Dance Division - all still silent.
she's seen here in Jacques d'Amboise IRISH FANTASY, see following credits:

Irish fantasy - Chor: Jacques D'Amboise; mus: Camille Saint-Saëns (ballet music from Henry VIII); scen: David Hays; cos: Barbara Karinska; lighting: David Hays. First perf: New York, New York State Theater, Oct 8, 1964, New York City Ballet.

and yes, the Vivaldi music on top of this early 1970s? footage is patched in from left field, so to speak...

the two soloist men seen at times framing Kirkland look like they might be either the Sackett brothers, or Robert Maiorano or maybe Bruce Wells?

#73 mimsyb

mimsyb

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:55 AM

Thanks for this. Gelsey had just this special "ease of movement" not always seen in today's dancers. Even Osipova. I'm always aware of her doing things. Gelsey just did. It seemed to come from no-where, but stayed in the mind. Translucent. And Makhalina was always a favorite. Never got her due.

#74 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thank you RG that was very enlightening. She and Makhalina both have special qualities that elevate them above the stratosphere. Just wonderful to watch.

#75 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

MORE GELSEY VIDEO! And wonderful, too

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=zGAXPd_JEus

In Balanchine's Tarantella -- without music, alas, but as I watch it I can hear the music. Fantastic performance -- she gives great respect to McBride's creation, keeps to McBride's big effects all the way, but throws her head back on her travelling steps and does her Rockettes-kick with her own attack and  REALLY sits down in the echappes; also a fantastic Suzy Q exit, almost as if this were Bulerias.... Funny, , funny, funny, she's a scream in this.

Also interesting that she's not bothered by obsessive perfectionism. The rhythm is perfect. But she stays in character: in entrechat-quatre, she doesn't pointe much; in pique turns, she over-crosses her passe and doesn't turn out a whole lot -- just like Patty. 

Not sure who her partner is. He's not bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):