This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Gelsey Kirkland

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:50 PM

Note: Website still under construction as of this posting.

The's still a lot to see, including a video montage of Kirkland dancing. The ambitions -- including a Studio Company -- are not small. Good luck, Gelsey!

#32 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 03:16 PM

[Her] ambitions -- including a Studio Company -- are not small.

Were they ever? :)

#33 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

An interview with Gelsey Kirkland and her husband about the new school is posted on the blog 4Dancers:
http://www.4dancers....ichael-chernov/

The website for the school is here:
http://www.gelseykirklandballet.org/
That video collage on the opening page includes very brief clips not available elsewhere, including her "Kitri" jump from the 1978 Don Quixote. (You can see that original production on archival tape at the New York Public Library Performing Arts Library, but it's never been released commercially.)

#34 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,952 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

There's also a nice interview with Kirkland and Chernov in the latest Ballet Review, where she talks about her early influences as well as the new venture. Best of luck to both of them!

#35 chops

chops

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

http://www.gelseykirklandballet.org/

She's started her own school! Check it out!

#36 Neryssa

Neryssa

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but there is a new article about the school in The New York Times this week:

http://www.nytimes.c...?_r=1&ref=dance

Edited to add: I love the portrait of her by Kenn Duncan. Appears to be pre-silicone era.

#37 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but there is a new article about the school in The New York Times this week:

http://www.nytimes.c...?_r=1&ref=dance

Edited to add: I love the portrait of her by Kenn Duncan. Appears to be pre-silicone era.

Don't know. There are photos of her at 17 being fitted for Firebird, if you can find those you can compare I suppose.

#38 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

Found this Kirkland & Baryshnikov. Hope you all enjoy it:

#39 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:48 PM

Wow. Seeing her dance like this makes her career even more tragic in my eyes. Being to young to have seen Ms Kirkland live, video snippets are all I have seen. I usually will not judge a dancer on he basis of a video since generally artistry is lost. If that holds true with Kirkland, I can not even imagine what she was like live. I hope more videos of her will eventually find their way to the public so that many more generations will be able to see a glimpse of the artistry so rarely seen today

#40 kitcat

kitcat

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

That's gorgeous Simon. Thanks for sharing.

#41 Ray

Ray

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 05:03 AM

Thank you so much for posting this, one of the performances that I can point to when people ask me what got me started as a dancer.

It's a shame though that we can only enjoy this performance, from the 1970s, in a form that looks like a kinescope from the 1950s. Why can't our venerable dance organizations, charged with preserving Balanchine's work, do something about remastering and redistributing this. Yes, I know it's about money and permissions, but it's also about institutional will: do they care?

Enjoy it before the "Balanchine police" take it away--censorship is something they seem to have plenty of time and energy for.

#42 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

That's gorgeous Simon. Thanks for sharing.

Indeed. Thanks from me too!

#43 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:28 AM

. . . It's a shame though that we can only enjoy this performance, from the 1970s, in a form that looks like a kinescope from the 1950s. Why can't our venerable dance organizations, charged with preserving Balanchine's work, do something about remastering and redistributing this. Yes, I know it's about money and permissions, but it's also about institutional will: do they care?

Enjoy it before the "Balanchine police" take it away--censorship is something they seem to have plenty of time and energy for.

Here's another one to enjoy fast before it disappears -- a Baryshnikov solo from the same piece:

And, as many of us have noted repeatedly here: I would happily pay a hefty price to buy this performance released commercially on DVD or streaming video from iTunes. Are they at least trying to get the necessary releases?

#44 Simon G

Simon G

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:33 AM

Just wanted to bump these to the main page so as many people get a chance to see them as possible, before the inevitable intervention.

#45 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

Those clips are absolutely thrilling. I hope a lot of people get to appreciate them before they are taken down. Thanks so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):