This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nadia Nerina performed in a complete BBC "Giselle" in 1958 with the Bolshoi's Nikolai Fadeyachev as her Albrecht. (There are also films of Petrouchka, Coppelia, Les Sylphides, The Firebird and La Fille Mal Gardee all with Nerina directed by Margaret Dale in the BBC archives and they have been preserved). I don't think the BBC had it in them to do another complete "Giselle" so soon after that pioneering effort.

Fonteyn it seems did much less BBC work than Nerina. She did a very early "Swan Lake" Act II circa 1938 as well as a complete "Nutcracker" in the fifties. Other than that it is just a "Rose Adagio" or little solo here or there. There should be more considering her stature as Britain's prima ballerina.

Finally watched the POB production. It's beautiful but cold--perhaps due to camera work that kept cutting in Act II to 45 degree perspective shots, squishing the Willis. On top of which, the director was switching camera angles so often that I never gained an organic perspective of the action. For example, the director kept alternating "you're on-stage" shots with these long and middle distance views. And I found the dancing overall to be unexciting.