This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sweet, cute and happy ballets?What ballets other then La fille mal gardee?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

- we live in a free world thankfully :D

Yes indeed! And that's one of the pleasures of discussion here -- agreeing on the right to disagree. :)

#32 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

Having family that was stripped of belongings, persecuted and variously dislocated, most to arid lands in Kazakhstan, some to perish in Vladivostok, I had no qualms about enjoying the ballet.

Thank you, Chris.

Luckily for all of us, the human spirit has a remarkable drive to triumph over its circumstances. I see no reason to criticize, for example, the extravagant luxury of the Astaire-Rogers films which were made during the dark days of the Depression. They provided, most likely, a necessary cheerful fantasy to relieve the hardship of daily life.

Nor do I mean to compare the Depression to the Stalinist purges. The suffering of one pales beside the suffering of the other, which were acts of human intention. But I stand by my point.

#33 canbelto

canbelto

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

I see the Bright Stream issue differently. I think it's a tribute to how far Russian ballet has come, in that there is even a ballet like Bright Stream. In the "old Soviet" days, no one would ever have put a leading danseur in a romantic tutu and pointe shoes. How undignified! How silly! Putting a prima ballerina in a coat and tails. How perverse!
When I watch old Soviet films, I of course am filled with admiration for the incredible beauty and grace of the wonderful dancers, but that's tinged with a bit of regret that they were often dancing in old-fashioned productions that deliberately placed limits on emotions and storylines. Nowadays the Bolshoi's repertoire is probably nearly as diverse adventurous as the NYCB's, and that's a beautiful thing.

#34 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

One more... Todd Bolender's Souvenirs ?

#35 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:46 AM

And, re Robbins' "The Concert," you don't have to come all the way to New York to see it, the Paris Opera Ballet does a wonderful -- very authentic -- production of this Most-Delightful-And-Funny-Of-All-Ballets. Keep your eyes open for it!

#36 SpanCox

SpanCox

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

And, re Robbins' "The Concert," you don't have to come all the way to New York to see it, the Paris Opera Ballet does a wonderful -- very authentic -- production of this Most-Delightful-And-Funny-Of-All-Ballets. Keep your eyes open for it!

I will keep an eye open for that one as well. Paris would be nice. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):