Sweet, cute and happy ballets?What ballets other then La fille mal gardee?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

- we live in a free world thankfully :D

Yes indeed! And that's one of the pleasures of discussion here -- agreeing on the right to disagree. :)

#32 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

Having family that was stripped of belongings, persecuted and variously dislocated, most to arid lands in Kazakhstan, some to perish in Vladivostok, I had no qualms about enjoying the ballet.

Thank you, Chris.

Luckily for all of us, the human spirit has a remarkable drive to triumph over its circumstances. I see no reason to criticize, for example, the extravagant luxury of the Astaire-Rogers films which were made during the dark days of the Depression. They provided, most likely, a necessary cheerful fantasy to relieve the hardship of daily life.

Nor do I mean to compare the Depression to the Stalinist purges. The suffering of one pales beside the suffering of the other, which were acts of human intention. But I stand by my point.

#33 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:15 PM

I see the Bright Stream issue differently. I think it's a tribute to how far Russian ballet has come, in that there is even a ballet like Bright Stream. In the "old Soviet" days, no one would ever have put a leading danseur in a romantic tutu and pointe shoes. How undignified! How silly! Putting a prima ballerina in a coat and tails. How perverse!
When I watch old Soviet films, I of course am filled with admiration for the incredible beauty and grace of the wonderful dancers, but that's tinged with a bit of regret that they were often dancing in old-fashioned productions that deliberately placed limits on emotions and storylines. Nowadays the Bolshoi's repertoire is probably nearly as diverse adventurous as the NYCB's, and that's a beautiful thing.

#34 Amy Reusch

Amy Reusch

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:01 PM

One more... Todd Bolender's Souvenirs ?

#35 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:46 AM

And, re Robbins' "The Concert," you don't have to come all the way to New York to see it, the Paris Opera Ballet does a wonderful -- very authentic -- production of this Most-Delightful-And-Funny-Of-All-Ballets. Keep your eyes open for it!

#36 SpanCox

SpanCox

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

And, re Robbins' "The Concert," you don't have to come all the way to New York to see it, the Paris Opera Ballet does a wonderful -- very authentic -- production of this Most-Delightful-And-Funny-Of-All-Ballets. Keep your eyes open for it!

I will keep an eye open for that one as well. Paris would be nice. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):