This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCBallet.com

Add me to the voices that love the new site. I think it looks contemporary and exciting.

And I think Balanchine would have loved the "+" in Romeo and Juliet and, in fact, anything that kept the company young and fresh and new.

If he were still around in 2008, he would have probably gotten rid of the lyre himself.

Add me to the voices that love the new site. I think it looks contemporary and exciting.

And I think Balanchine would have loved the "+" in Romeo and Juliet and, in fact, anything that kept the company young and fresh and new.

If he were still around in 2008, he would have probably gotten rid of the lyre himself.

I'm glad you made that a speculative statement, but we really can't be sure-- he was changeable in the things he said*. The lyre was the symbol of the Imperial Academy, on their dress uniforms there were little lyres on their collars, and all his life he really held his school and the fact that it was supported by the Tsar in high regard.

At any rate, please join me in wishing Mr. B a happy 104th birthday, one day late (Jan 22, 1904). And note that the "block programming" means that Jan. 22nd is no longer called "New Combinations" night. Mr. Martins paid respects to Mr. B's birthday with that name, because Mr. B said that all he was doing was making "new combinations."

*There is a little book sold at the NYState Theater that is comprised of little quotes by Balanchine, and there are many contradictory statements.