This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Michael Kidd, R.I.P.

Thank you, amitava, for posting. This is sad news, although fortunately Kidd had a long life and career. The NYT obituary quotes one 'Edward' Denby (I sent the paper a heads up, I hope somebody will fix it) as saying:

Edward Denby of The New York Herald Tribune predicted that “On Stage!” would take Mr. Kidd to Broadway, saying his gifts leaned more toward entertainment than poetic expression. In 1947, Mr. Kidd abandoned ballet for the Broadway musical. Though he had been hailed as one of the great hopes of postwar American ballet, he never returned to a dance company.

Sounds like both men assessed the situation correctly, although it's a shame Kidd didn't give ballet at least one more try later on. He probably knew best, however.

As the obituaries note, he can be seen acting and dancing in the movie 'It's Always Fair Weather,' which was not wildly successful when it came out for some pretty good reasons but has fine dancing from Gene Kelly, Dan Dailey, and Kidd.

As the obituaries note, he can be seen acting and dancing in the movie 'It's Always Fair Weather,' which was not wildly successful when it came out for some pretty good reasons but has fine dancing from Gene Kelly, Dan Dailey, and Kidd.

Perhaps Kidd didn't seek subsequent film roles because he was embittered by the fact that his spectacular "Jack and the Space Giants" number ended up on the cutting room floor at Gene Kelly's insistence.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to describe Kidd is a great choreographer. In particular, the choreography given to the corps of hoods in the "Girl Hunt" ballet from The Band Wagon anticipated the hyper-physical work of Édouard Lock, Ginette Laurin and the other choreographers of the 1980s Quebec dance boom by some 30 years.

May he rest in peace.

I saw 'On Stage' with Ballet Theatre in which Kidd has been described as Chaplinesque; which he surely was, especially in his PDD with a mop. The ballet was funny and poignant and Janet Reed had one of her best roles at the young dancer auditioning for the Company. R.I.P.

I think he was no les than a genius. The way dance arises out of situations in 7 brides for 7 brothers is so rigorously logical, it ALWAYS makes sense, and again and again, you just can't wait for it to happen. I saw hte movie as a kid and remember it as making me overjoyed, just beside myself with delight. ABout a year ago I rented it from netflix and watched it 4 or 5 times before sending it back, and it just kept getting better and better. THe boys htemselves were like a litter of puppies -- Jacques d'Amboise included -- o my god, what a wonderful movie. I am so grateful to Michael Kidd.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers always leaves me with a bittersweet feeling. As much as I love the movie, it's a little depressing to watch and know that people like Howard Keel, Jane Powell and Tommy Rall (and Michael Kidd) would find fewer and fewer opportunities to work in musical films (as the studio system began to crumble around this time.)