This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kathryn Morgan

drb

Balanchine Technique

While the magazine is still on sale, perhaps I should describe the article. There are nine full-page sized photos: the cover (Stars and Stripes), table of contents (Carousel), another Carousel to begin the article, and then six more meant to illustrate Balanchine technique. There are also six smaller photos, also about technique. Sean Lavery supplies commentary for each Balanchine technique photo. A typical example:

In soussus croise, Kathryn epitomizes the Balanchine epaulement. "Look at her head and neck. If she wasn't a Balanchine dancer, her head would be straight to the front and her torso would be more like a pencil," says Lavery. "If you look at her from the waist down, she's perfectly straight, she's completely on balance--then look at her torso and she makes the rounder shape." Also in croise, the head is tipped up to the ceiling. "There is a curve in the whole line of her body."

As a totally ignorant fan, I found the article quite illuminating, although obviously really aimed at young dance students (even moreso than, say, Pointe). In its first two pages, the article traces Ms. Morgan's rather meteoric career, as well as giving "Fast Facts," such as

FIRST TUTU: When Kathryn was 2, she saw the Bolshoi Ballet on television. She promptly ripped the tutu off her ballerina teddy bear, put it on, and danced along with the TV.

It then switches to Mr. Lavery, and the subject of technique. The photos by Erin Baiano are stunning, as is, of course, the ballerina.

From her Twitter account and Facebook page, I got the impression Kathryn Morgan will be back performing this season. I certainly hope she is well, as she was truly missed this past season after a glorious 2009-2010 season. Please be well and come back and dance for us, Kathryn! (I know one is not allowed to speculate on the condition of dancers, but this is from her own social media accounts.) She wrote she is back in New York and rehearsing.

Sorry to bum you all out but it looks like (per her Twitter handle)Kathryn won't be back this season. Here's hoping for Nutcracker though. See her posts below from August 19th:

KMorganNYCB Kathryn Morgan

Hello all. Thank you for your kind words and support. Well, I've been 100% honest this whole process and I am going to be honest again...

19 Aug

Few days ago I went for a doc checkup- thinking this would be the last one, and I got a bad report. My thyroid is still not good.

19 Aug

So, I have to sit out ANOTHER season. I'm very upset, but I just want to be 100% well before I get back onstage. But...

Everything else seems to be in line that was previously awful (liver, blood count, etc) so I should be back for Nutcracker. I'm 99% sure!

Not fun, but this is what I have to do to be at my best when I come back. I will keep tweeting though and let you know what I'm doing.

19 Aug

I PROMISE I will be back! This is NOT the end of my career! ;-) Lucky for me, I get a whole new start!

19 Aug

I checked the casting for the week ending December 24, and Kathryn Morgan still has not been cast. There's only one week left of the season. I have not checked what she has said on Twitter, as Twitter is a mystery to me. I am rather heartsick at not seeing Morgan's name yet again on the casting list. What a talent she is. She was one of my favorite dancers and I am fearful for her career. Does anyone have any information?

I checked the casting for the week ending December 24, and Kathryn Morgan still has not been cast. There's only one week left of the season. I have not checked what she has said on Twitter, as Twitter is a mystery to me. I am rather heartsick at not seeing Morgan's name yet again on the casting list. What a talent she is. She was one of my favorite dancers and I am fearful for her career. Does anyone have any information?

Are you on Facebook? She's very active there: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=510105185. She posts lots of comments and advice, but no word of her upcoming performance schedule.

One of the better ballet-related resources on Facebook: Kathryn Morgan (NYCB, soloist) has an official "fan page." She updates frequently, posts tons of pictures, and even offers advise to aspiring dancers. Ms Morgan lots of subscribers, nearly 62,000 at last count, and deservedly so. This is a must-suscribe page for anyone who happens to have a Facebook account, and who likes NYCB or ballet in general.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=510105185

Kathryn Morgan made this post today on her FB page:

Hi Everyone. Many of you are wondering why I am no longer listed on NYC Ballet's website. Well, at this time, I have decided to leave the company to focus on some medical issues I am still dealing with. I have been battling them for awhile, and trying to be onstage and get well at the same time is just not working. I absolutely left of my own accord, knowing this was the best decision at this time. However, rest assured, my career is FAR from over! I just need to be 150% well before I attempt to get back onstage. To have a successful ballet career you need to be completely dedicated to the art. I cannot do that while I am still battling some health challenges. Thank you for ALL of your kind words. It means the world. I will still continue to post pictures/notes/and anything else I can. I PROMISE I will be back onstage in the future and plan on coming back better than ever!

I look forward to seeing her dancing again!

It was a nice touch for her to mention that it was her decision to leave. That way she puts to rest any speculation that Martins forced her out. I hope she can come back, but more importantly I hope she and her doctors can resolve/treat her medical problems. Without your health, almost everything else in life is meaningless.