• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

It is a shame that politics intrudes into the arts and the situation is very complex. The Cuban dancers are wonderful. Having gotten to know a certain diva's daughter, I do know that things can be difficult.

Mike

L...?, la,la :blushing:

I'm the lowest of the low around here. I'll say no more.

...he,he...see?, there's nothing hidden between earth and sky ... :wub:

#17 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,239 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 07:03 PM

Being Taras Domitro placed as Principal in SFB, i only hope for the best to Hayna and Miguel Angel. I'll keep my fingers crossed...
BUENA SUERTE, MUCHACHOS!!! :wink:
Meanwhile, here's a pic of Hayna as Aurora and Blanco as Desire while taking a bow at their last performance with the CCBM. The lady with the flowers is Mamicha, the Artistic Director and heart of the Company. :P
http://www.flickr.co...N06/2657685824/

#18 naomikage

naomikage

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

I purchased the new DVD of Don Q by Ballet Nacional de Cuba in FNAC in Paris. It was issued by BelAir Classiques and is a recording of their July 2007 performance in Paris.
I knew that Viengsay Valdes and Romel Frometa were incredible dancers, but Miguel Angel Blanco's Espada and Taras Domitro's gypsy was unbilievable! They are jaw-dropping performers.

I hope the audience in US can see this DVD. You can buy this on the French FNAC website, and it is NTSC region free.

Best wishes for Taras Domitro and Miguel Angel Blanco!

#19 innopac

innopac

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:15 PM

A glimpse of this dvd can be seen on youtube if you search: Don Quixote National Ballet of Cuba.

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,239 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

After one year post defection, ballerina Hayna Gutierrez hasn't been hired permanently. Out of the three dancers, only Taras Domitro went to become Principal at San Francisco Ballet-(and receiving rave review for his recent appearance in The Four Temperaments). Blanco usually appears with the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami, most recently in the Nutcracker. I've tracked down Gutierrez to find that she just danced as a guest with Peoria Ballet of Illinois partnered by Miami City Ballet's recent loss, ex Principal Isanusi Garcia-(also a previous defector from Alonso's troupe). They did the Nutcracker. Whatever they go, I wish them both the best luck, and I hope that Gutierrez gets placed where her Prima talent can be truly appreciated.

http://www.pjstar.co...oves-impressive

#21 Andrew73

Andrew73

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:23 AM

Kudos to those who put personal fortune after artistic effort, and stay loyal to Alonso and NBC - it's a fantastic organization from a nation of only 10 million people and no money. That is something any dancer can be proud of; I pray that the defections do not do lasting damage ... but history shows us that no-one is indispensible!

Let us hope that 2009 brings permanent change, to benefit of all, not just the ballet. :lol:

#22 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,068 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

Kudos to those who put personal fortune after artistic effort, and stay loyal to Alonso and NBC - it's a fantastic organization from a nation of only 10 million people and no money. That is something any dancer can be proud of; I pray that the defections do not do lasting damage ... but history shows us that no-one is indispensible!

Let us hope that 2009 brings permanent change, to benefit of all, not just the ballet. :lol:

What Andrew73 said. :)

#23 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,239 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

I just want the words DEFECTOR and EXILE to disappear FOREVER from the Cuban history, along with all the damage that it has caused to all of us, including ballet dancers...

#24 missvjc420

missvjc420

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Con los pobres de la tierra
Quiero yo mi suerte echar
El arroyo de la sierra
Me complace más que el mar

J. Marti

#25 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,239 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:27 PM

Hayna.
http://www.albertaba...tierrez/1000552
Migue
http://www.joffrey.c...el-angel-blanco
Taritas
http://www.sfballet....asp?id=12340158

I'm happy to see them all finally placed in such nice homes... :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):