This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cuban defections: Domitro, Gutierrez, Blanco

Well, at least some folks don't find it hard to get into the U.S. of A.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_n...ory/348219.html

The dancers -- Taras Domitro, Hayna Gutierrez and Miguel Angel Blanco -- defected after a double joint presentation of the Nutcracker Suite by The National Ballet of Cuba and the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble at Hamilton Place in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Domitro is the son of Magaly Surez, co-artistic director of the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami, which was founded in January 2006 to showcase exiled principal Cuban dancers as well as those already residing in Miami.

Well, at least some folks don't find it hard to get into the U.S. of A.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_n...ory/348219.html

The dancers -- Taras Domitro, Hayna Gutierrez and Miguel Angel Blanco -- defected after a double joint presentation of the Nutcracker Suite by The National Ballet of Cuba and the Canadian Ballet Youth Ensemble at Hamilton Place in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Domitro is the son of Magaly Surez, co-artistic director of the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami, which was founded in January 2006 to showcase exiled principal Cuban dancers as well as those already residing in Miami.

Wow...I remember that Hayna was always a favorite among the balletomanes in Havana, and became first dancer to supply the demands when Lorna Feijoo and Alihaydee Carreno, (both first Dancers), almost defected at the same time a few years ago. A very well educated and refined young lady, IMO. Now, it's all about Viengsay Valdes, and the new sensation, Annette Delgado, (which i have the feeling won't last too long over there.)..Anyways, my warmest welcome, and glad to keep the tradition of the Cuban Ballet School alive over here!!... :FIREdevil:

I certainly understand the reasons for dancers leaving, but I still feel sorry for the company (and its audience).

That's the price Mme. Alonso has to pay, sadly...getting to know that her dancers will be defecting one day or another. About the audience, that's another story. One major ballerina defects, two more get the rank next day and the Lorca keeps filled with screams and whistles to the new stars...That's a never ending cycle, (i experienced it several times).

It's such a tribute to the school that there is a wonderful supply of dancers to take the place of those who leave.

indeed it is.

Cristian,

I may be thinking of another Cuban dancer but isn't Miguel Angel Blanco related to Alicia Alonzo(grandson?)

If mem. serve, the only Mme. Alonso's grandson i know was dancing in the company right at the end of her career-(even partnering her when she was around 70)-is named Ivan. I haven't heard about him ever after...

Darn! I missed all the excitement! (I live very close to the Canadian town where they were performing). I also missed the show! :) Here is a link to a brief article from that paper:

http://www.thespec.com/article/297671 (this one is perhaps the same as the Miami Herald article)

http://www.thespec.com/article/297949 (this one is a bit longer, with photos of the dancers and is authored by a writer from the Hamilton Spectator)

m2

Darn! I missed all the excitement! (I live very close to the Canadian town where they were performing). I also missed the show! :thumbsup: Here is a link to a brief article from that paper:

http://www.thespec.com/article/297671 (this one is perhaps the same as the Miami Herald article)

http://www.thespec.com/article/297949 (this one is a bit longer, with photos of the dancers and is authored by a writer from the Hamilton Spectator)

I couldn't help but copy some fragments of Gary Smith's article for the Hamilton Spectator. Great job! :lol:

"If you ever thought The Nutcracker wasn't for hardcore dance fans, get down to Hamilton Place.

For years, serious balletomanes have eschewed this annual sugar-coated romp, preferring to think of it as a seasonal ballet token.Well it's not. Not when it's danced by The National Ballet of Cuba. A product of Alicia Alonso, this company is one of the treasures of the dance world.[]If any of you saw this woman dance Giselle or any of the roles she tackled, you'll know we're dealing with genius.[]That genius happily extends to the dance company this diva has brought to Hamilton Place.[]

No wonder Toronto dance fans are driving Highway 403. No wonder people are coming from Rochester and Buffalo. This is honest to goodness ballet.[]Now don't expect lavish sets. This is a Cuban company, after all. They depend on the generosity of dancers and dance fans around the world to even get pointe shoes. So the sets are, well, charming. They have a fair share of wrinkles, but the wonderful thing is they are vintage in appeal, like something left over from the old Ballets Russes. :wub: []Like the rest of this production, they are shamelessly nostalgic. And that's right up my street.There's something naive and innocent about this whole production. You wouldn't mistake it for anything but Cuban. It fuses exotic colour with an attractive Spanish influence.[]Mostly though, this Nutcracker is about dance. But it's the Cuban dance stars, of course, who make you want to stand up and cheer.

From Act I:

Raul Mazorra makes an animated Nutcracker partnering Annia Hidalgo as this production's Dream Clara with solicitous concern.

Sadaise Arencibia and Miguelangel Blanco are an attractive Prince and Snow Queen.

From Act II

All of the divertissements of Act 2 are unique and full of choreographic vision with Livan Pujada, Maikel Hernandez and Marcos Becerra raising the rafters in The Russian Dance.

The Waltz of the Flowers, frequently a lyrical dance of surrender, becomes more linear in construction here. No matter. With Linnet Gonzalez and Jessie Dominguez tossing off triple fouettes, who cares?

The biggest bravos, however, are reserved for young Taras Domitro and Hayna Gutierrez, two remarkable dancers who connect brilliantly with The Sugar Plum Fairy Variation and the airborne grandeur of her Cavalier.

-(now in Miami, in the upcoming Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami's "Swan Lake" in February!) -:yahoo:

[]They find, in the thrilling undertow of the music, a point of rhapsodic release.He has the most elegant beats, lyric arms and airborne arabesque. She has rock-solid balance and feet that skim the floor like some latter-day Pavlova. Exquisite.

There is a final moment of magic when Alonso herself steps onstage for a surprise curtain call. :clapping:

It reminded me of Martha Graham and Agnes de Mille receiving homage from mere mortals like myself who worshipped in the dark.

Let's hope she does it every night.

For goodness sake, see this world-class Nutcracker

It will dance in your head long after Clara is safely home in her world of imagination.

Gary Smith has written on theatre and dance for The Hamilton Spectator for more than 25 years.

I certainly understand the reasons for dancers leaving, but I still feel sorry for the company (and its audience).

And this is what the company's Director has to say:

''Of course it affects us,'' says Alonso, founder and head of the Ballet Nacional de Cuba. "Not only as a company, because we have 110 beautiful dancers, and we have more coming up each year through our school. But as human beings. I wish they had waited to develop a little more, to be better formed. Those young people who left may not believe this, but I always worry about them. But then this is what we always have wanted to do: To share our art, to share our Cuban ballet."

Mme. Alicia Alonso. :angry2:

And then Alonso's husband, Pedro Simon recalls...:

''When a dancer leaves our company, the artistic effect is probably the same as when a dancer leaves any company,'' says Simón, who reveals that the New York City Ballet is making overtures to the Ballet Nacional de Cuba's young Joel Carreño. "Those are artistic realities. But we have special political and social realities here, and that means that there are social and political repercussions when dancers leave.''

Don Pedro Simon.

(p.s...can't wait for their upcoming "Swan Lake" :flowers: )

I just saw tons of clips of Hayna Gutierrez and Domitro on Youtube...(Giselle, her Black Swan solo, Carmen, Flames of Paris...) The Act II Giselle PDD particularly shows Gutierrez inner lyric qualities, which suits her more than Odile's seductive mannerisms...

Their Swan Lake is due this weekend...let's see...

It is a shame that politics intrudes into the arts and the situation is very complex. The Cuban dancers are wonderful. Having gotten to know a certain diva's daughter, I do know that things can be difficult.

Mike

It is a shame that politics intrudes into the arts and the situation is very complex. The Cuban dancers are wonderful. Having gotten to know a certain diva's daughter, I do know that things can be difficult.

Mike

L...?, la,la :blushing:

I'm the lowest of the low around here. I'll say no more.

Mike

L...?, la,la :blushing:

I'm the lowest of the low around here. I'll say no more.

...he,he...see?, there's nothing hidden between earth and sky ... :wub:

Being Taras Domitro placed as Principal in SFB, i only hope for the best to Hayna and Miguel Angel. I'll keep my fingers crossed...

BUENA SUERTE, MUCHACHOS!!! :wink:

Meanwhile, here's a pic of Hayna as Aurora and Blanco as Desire while taking a bow at their last performance with the CCBM. The lady with the flowers is Mamicha, the Artistic Director and heart of the Company. :P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26624336@N06/2657685824/

I purchased the new DVD of Don Q by Ballet Nacional de Cuba in FNAC in Paris. It was issued by BelAir Classiques and is a recording of their July 2007 performance in Paris.

I knew that Viengsay Valdes and Romel Frometa were incredible dancers, but Miguel Angel Blanco's Espada and Taras Domitro's gypsy was unbilievable! They are jaw-dropping performers.

I hope the audience in US can see this DVD. You can buy this on the French FNAC website, and it is NTSC region free.

Best wishes for Taras Domitro and Miguel Angel Blanco!

After one year post defection, ballerina Hayna Gutierrez hasn't been hired permanently. Out of the three dancers, only Taras Domitro went to become Principal at San Francisco Ballet-(and receiving rave review for his recent appearance in The Four Temperaments). Blanco usually appears with the Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami, most recently in the Nutcracker. I've tracked down Gutierrez to find that she just danced as a guest with Peoria Ballet of Illinois partnered by Miami City Ballet's recent loss, ex Principal Isanusi Garcia-(also a previous defector from Alonso's troupe). They did the Nutcracker. Whatever they go, I wish them both the best luck, and I hope that Gutierrez gets placed where her Prima talent can be truly appreciated.

http://www.pjstar.com/entertainment/x22599...oves-impressive

Kudos to those who put personal fortune after artistic effort, and stay loyal to Alonso and NBC - it's a fantastic organization from a nation of only 10 million people and no money. That is something any dancer can be proud of; I pray that the defections do not do lasting damage ... but history shows us that no-one is indispensible!

Let us hope that 2009 brings permanent change, to benefit of all, not just the ballet. :lol:

Kudos to those who put personal fortune after artistic effort, and stay loyal to Alonso and NBC - it's a fantastic organization from a nation of only 10 million people and no money. That is something any dancer can be proud of; I pray that the defections do not do lasting damage ... but history shows us that no-one is indispensible!

Let us hope that 2009 brings permanent change, to benefit of all, not just the ballet. :lol:

What Andrew73 said. :)