This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Maria Tallchief documentaryfor those in Seattle area (maybe other areas too?)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

This documentary is finally being broadcast on the Seattle PBS station (ch 9). It will be on 12/13 at 9pm.....with a re-broadcast on 12/16 at 2am.

Maybe other venues are doing it this month too???

#2 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

Sandy, could you post the title of the documentary, so others may search their local listings? Is it part of the American Masters series?

Thanks!

#3 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

The 57-minute video is also available for sale from UpStream Productions.

#4 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:27 PM

Sandy, could you post the title of the documentary, so others may search their local listings? Is it part of the American Masters series?

Sure. It's called "Maria TallChief: America's First Prima Ballerina"

It is not part of any series that I am aware of; rather it is a new independent documentary that has been briefly discussed on BalletTalk before:

http://ballettalk.in...showtopic=25979

Here is a short blurb about this film from Wikipedia:

"A one hour documentary titled Maria Tallchief was completed in November of 2007 by Sandy and Yasu Osawa of Upstream Productions in Seattle, Washington. The documentary will air on PBS stations at various times from 2007-2010. The film features 180 archival photos including some from Ms. Tallchief's personal collection covering the time period of her marriage to George Balanchine and her early years growing up in Fairfax, Oklahoma. In addition, clips from her performances include Swan Lake, Pas de Dix, Le Baiser de la Fée, The Nutcracker, The Firebird and The Black Swan."

Later edit: OOPS...maybe I should have simply added this info to the existing thread instead of creating a new one.

#5 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

I believe the documentary was made through ITVS--The Independent Television Service, which facilitates & distributes independent productions on PBS. The other PBS program (besides "American Masters") which could be airing it is "Independent Lens". Check you local listings because NOT all PBS stations are required to buy the national schedule, and so can put many programs when and where they choose. And now that it is Pledge season again, the schedule will be even more haphazard. As it is, I've already missed that Charlie Rose broadcast re: Nureyev because of this--despite watching CR nightly for weeks hoping to catch it.

#6 SandyMcKean

SandyMcKean

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:54 PM

In my PBS station schedule (that I get as a member), the documentary is listed as a wholly separate offering. It is not part of "Independent Lens" or any other series. Perhaps that is unique to Seattle since the film makers make Seattle their base, but I sort of doubt it.

#7 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 09:21 PM

In my PBS station schedule (that I get as a member), the documentary is listed as a wholly separate offering. It is not part of "Independent Lens" or any other series. Perhaps that is unique to Seattle since the film makers make Seattle their base, but I sort of doubt it.

Yes, sometimes programs are offered to PBS as individual programs purchased/distributed through APTVS--a sort of PBS subsidiary service for individual or very limited series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):