This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Stories that should be a Ballet

MJ

Lucien Postlewaite talked about being careful about his diet before dancing "Apollo": he described the costume as "floss.". Playing a planet would be more forgiving smile.png

Peter Boal's comment, alongside a slide show of the costumes, was that the ballet got "naked-er" over time.

Well, the current costume is smaller than a dinner napkin :)

I was always sorry I missed the Met's production, just to have seen what Veredon did with it.

I remember it being dull, but I'm not sure Veredon did it, or did it all.

There were two Met triple bills in that era. The first was a Stavinsky, with "Rite of Spring" as the ballet, and then the French triple bill with "Parade." I read a review at the time that said that there was turmoil and the listed choreographers weren't the one who had done all or most of the work. Hybrids often don't work very well, and usually there is not much time for the incoming choreographer to start from scratch.

[

When I was a student, I had an lp recording of original piano settings of both the Gymnopedies and the Gnossiennes.

I think I wore out the same LP.

http://plade-klassik...4cc1677a5788ef1

Yes! Aldo Ciccolini. So much clarity and elegance, combined with mystery and elusiveness. Llke nothing I had ever heard..

By the way, I just looked up the complete program for the Joffrey's 1975 performances of Monotones. The Ashton was the opener, followed by

-- Massine's Parade (also a Satie score, with the Picasso decor;

-- Tudor's [corrected to Limon's; thanks sandik] Moor's Pavane (Danced by (get this !!!) Christian Holder, Jan Hanniford, Gary Chryst, and Beatriz Rodriguez),

-- Robbins' Interplay.

How often does one get to see programs as rich and varied as that?

I grew up outside NYC and my experience of ballet was similar to NY metro ballet and dance fans, with the same prevailing aesthetics, but sandik told me that growing up on the west coast, the Joffrey was the example of what ballet was, and before that, the Ballets Russes.

That rich and varied programming was the norm for many people across America, which is hard to imagine, having been reared in The Center of the Universe.

By the way, I just looked up the complete program for the Joffrey's 1975 performances of Monotones. The Ashton was the opener, followed by

-- Massine's Parade (also a Satie score, with the Picasso decor;

-- Tudor's [corrected to Limon; thanks, sandik] Moor's Pavane (Danced by (get this !!!) Christian Holder, Jan Hanniford, Gary Chrst, and Beatriz Rodriguez),

-- Robbins' Interplay.

How often does one get to see programs as rich and varied as that?

It was a great program -- the quartet in the Limon (I think you oopsed there) was just stunning, the Ashton was beautifully exposed, Parade just knocked me flat and Interplay felt like it gave you a birds-eye view of its particular time. I was so new to watching dance, I figured it was always like that, and felt thrilled to be in a place that had so much to see and so much to learn about.

the quartet in the Limon (I think you oopsed there)
. A big oops indeed. Thank you, sandik, for the gentleness of your correction. I've made an adjustment above. I wish I knew how these memory-switches occur. Just a half hour ago, while swimming, the thought hit me: "You typed TUDOR instead of Limon." I got out of the pool right away and biked home to make the correction. (I blush to confess I hoped to do this before anyone noticed.) In fact, I'm typing here in my damp bathing suit. I love the way we help each other out on B.A.
the quartet in the Limon (I think you oopsed there)
. A big oops indeed. Thank you, sandik, for the gentleness of your correction. I've made an adjustment above. I wish I knew how these memory-switches occur. Just a half hour ago, while swimming, the thought hit me: "You typed TUDOR instead of Limon." I got out of the pool right away and biked home to make the correction. (I blush to confess I hoped to do this before anyone noticed.) In fact, I'm typing here in my damp bathing suit. I love the way we help each other out on B.A.

If you had a nickle for every mistake I've made here, you could have a pool installed in your luxury bathroom.