This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Jennifer Alexander

American Ballet Theatre just sent out the following sad announcement:

STATEMENT FROM AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

American Ballet Theatre sadly notes the passing of cherished Company dancer Jennifer Alexander. Alexander suffered fatal injuries on December 2 as a result of a car collision in New Jersey. Alexander, along with two other ABT dancers, Alexander’s husband Julio Bragado-Young and Nicole Graniero, as well as a dancer from the Martha Graham School, were returning from an appearance of The Nutcracker in Pennsylvania.

“It is with unbearable sadness that I, on behalf of the dancers, staff and Board of Governing Trustees, express our deepest sympathies to the Alexander and Bragado-Young families,” said Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

-30-

Monday, December 3, 2007

Often the company reads this board, and individual comments and tributes are welcome, but I wanted to say on behalf of all of this how sad and shocked we are, and, as carbro noted above, offer condolences to Jennifer's family and friends, as well as the company and the ABT family.

My deepest condolences to the Alexander and Bragado-Young families. God, and I just keep thinking :" The last thing Jennifer did on this earth before departing was joining and enjoying the happiness of all those kids and their families on that -for her-last "Nutcracker" .

RIP Jennifer Alexander :dunno:

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

Hearing this, I remember her as one of the women in The Green Table. She was so poignant, human, and vulnerable in that role, heartbreakingly so.

Does anybody know what and where it happened besides that it was on the road coming back from PA? There was the first snowstorm of the year that night or day, or the night before, just such a terribly dangerous time. It can happen to anyone and all change in an instant. My heart goes out to her and her family especially.

Thank you for posting this so very sad (and shocking) news. Both dancers' families, and the greater ABT family, have my deepest condolences. I have many memories of Ms. Alexander, a lovely dancer AND a very good actress, whose presence enhanced many many ABT performances. (I, too, remember the lover in "The Dream", the partisan/young girl? in "Green Table", and Bathilde in "Giselle".) I will continue to remember her fondly. And of course hope that her husband and others injured recover. I am very sorry I cannot express what a truly feel any better.

When such a beautiful being is taken in her prime it is a loss of unbearable sadness. With all the tragedies we witness on the stage, it is only this one which has brought tears to my eyes.

Thank you Jennifer for your gift to us with all your hard work and love of dance. You will not be forgotten.

Whenever the snow falls at the Nutcracker my thoughts will pull towards you.

Thank you all for your very kind words about my little sister, Jenny. I will be sure to let Julio know you are pulling for his full recovery.

Jenny has loved dancing since she was a squirrel in a pageant at age 3... she sure came a long way, didn't she?!

We appreciate your kind thoughts and prayers at this time. As a few people have said, she is dancing in the golden clouds now, and has our brother Jonathan with her too.

The show must go on - but please do remember her joy.

I did not know Jennifer Alexander although I probably have seen her dance. However, I am so sad for her husband, her immediate family, her ABT family, and all of the dance world. She was obviously a very special dancer, who loved her profession. It is a terrible loss for all of us.