This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Illustrations

i'm afraid 'tying it all together' hardly qualifies as 'les mots justes' for my efforts here.

this is the first of a few posts i can contribute to this forum in hopes of putting a 'face' more or less to some of the points made by those addressing their topics in words.

unfortunately, my collection of photos is spotty to say the most, and is lacking in a substantial array of photos to scan and post.

this selection, which will be added to if/when new items surface, illustrates Ballet Theatre:

1] a double portrait shot of Jerome Robbins and Janet Reed in the first cast of FANCY FREE;

2] a grouping from the first scene of De Mille's RODEO - the credits say: "Jenny Workman and Annabelle Lyon in RODEO;

3] a studio portrait of the first-cast of Balanchine's THEME AND VARIATIONS (i realize this forum isn't about Balanchine but as this photo of Alonso and Youskevitch relates to Ballet Theater's 1940s era, i thought it might be of interest);

4] a studio photo of ON STAGE (by M. Kidd) described on the back as: "John Kriza and Ruth Ann Koesun in ON STAGE;

5] the FIRST CAST of THE LEAVES ARE FADING - too often it's supposed that Kirkland's partner was I.Nagy - who indeed did do the leading male role, but the 'creator' of the lead was Jonas Kage;

6] Martine van Hamel in an undated photo of the finale of ETUDES

post-848-1195323078_thumb.jpg

post-848-1195323164_thumb.jpg

post-848-1195323315_thumb.jpg

post-848-1195323338_thumb.jpg

post-848-1195360055_thumb.jpg

post-848-1195360067_thumb.jpg

in relation to De Mille again and RODEO this is a historic BALLET RUSSE photo of De Mille herself and what i take to be Frederic Franklin in the ballet. (this print, which has some retouching by newspaper lay-out people, is undated and uncaptioned).

post-848-1195323685_thumb.jpg

Joffrey examples:

1] Starr Danias in TRINITY - probably issued to publicize the 1976 PBS/Dance in American broadcast the included Arpino's TRINITY;

2] Laura Dean's NIGHT w/ Luis Perez, Valmai Roberts, Tom Mossbrucker, & Lynne Chervony (undated);

3] LA VIVANDIERE PAS DE SIX (leads) Tina LeBlanc & Edward Stierle (undated)

post-848-1195323935_thumb.jpg

post-848-1195360131_thumb.jpg

post-848-1195360331_thumb.jpg

i'm afraid most of my photocard examples of ballet in britain dwell on Ashton, but a few isolated examples document other choreographers. one side interest of mine is Sophie Fedorovitch, and as this favorite of Ashton's designed LA FETE ETRANGE, i have this lone example of the A.Howard work: It shows June, Brae, Anthony Burke and Donald Britton, and is undated.

Additionally i've now found a publicity photo of FETE ETRANGE provided by the Louisville Ballet for its (undated) production of Howard's ballet; this copy is uncaptioned.

post-848-1195324532_thumb.jpg

post-848-1195360500_thumb.jpg

3 photos of Lichine's HELEN OF TROY (with Diana Adams):

one, a studio shot, shows Adams solo.

the other two are performance shots, uncaptioned but both dated Oct. 1946

i think Adams is the dancer in the 'pin-up' pose of the tableau w/ the ensemble - Marcel Vertes's beach umbrellas in the background make me think of Robbins's HIGH BUTTON SHOES.

the one of Helen in arabesque would seem to have Eglevsky in the role of Paris. (the garlands radiating from her balance pointe recall those attached to the shell on which Aurora balances in the vision sc. of vikharev staging of THE SLEEPING BEAUTY w/ regard to the stepanov notations. i believe it is said the balanchine's handiwork is seen some of the choreography for Adams's Helen.)

post-848-1196800287_thumb.jpg

post-848-1196800301_thumb.jpg

post-848-1196800320_thumb.jpg

3] a studio portrait of the first-cast of Balanchine's THEME AND VARIATIONS (i realize this forum isn't about Balanchine but as this photo of Alonso and Youskevitch relates to Ballet Theater's 1940s era, i thought it might be of interest);

What a beautiful pic, RG.!!!. I have it in the back cover of an old Ballet Nacional de Cuba "Tribute to Balanchine" program...