This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kirov Raymonda w/ Kolpakova FINALLY on DVD!Wooohooooo!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

One wonders if VAI will also release the earlier Kirov "Sleeping Beauty" with Kolpakova and Soloviev (excerpts are on various compilation tapes). This I believe was commercially released in Japan only and I think just on VHS. Given the paucity of Soloviev films available and an earlier, fresher Kolpakova with a youthful Mezentseva as the Lilac Fairly this seems a must.

The other Kirov "Beauty"s with Sizova (sixties film truncated) and Kolpakova with Berezhnoi (1980's) are on Kultur. The Lezhnina/Ruzimatov is on Image DVD but the Asymuratova/Zaklinsky has never been on DVD, only Kultur VHS in a mediocre transfer. So VAI really would do well to get this since they lack a real full-length "Beauty" in their catalogue.

#17 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:52 PM

I just got another email from the amazon.com people:

Glazunov (Actor), et al "Raymonda Ballet" [DVD] Estimated arrival date: 12/13/2007**

**I've got amazon Prime, and this is with 2-day service.

But still, much better than January.

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:31 PM

New estimated ship date: 24 December :(

#19 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:17 AM

Has anyone received an update from Amazon on the delivery of Raymonda? My account says delivery on or about 12/26 but no disc in sight.

#20 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

After four-five date changes, I finally got a "Shipped" notice on 27 December to say it had shipped Fedex Second Day for delivery on 2 January.

#21 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 12:29 PM

:wallbash:

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

My fortune cookie at lunch said,

You will receive a pleasant surprise in the mail.

and when I got home, indeed, "Raymonda" had been delivered!

I plan to watch it later tonight, to ring in the new year.

#23 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

How cool, Helene! Enjoy it, and happy New Year.

I got a slip today advising me to go over to the P.O. and pick up an oversized item that wouldn't fit in my mailbox. No info on origin (which drives me nuts), but I suspect it is my order from Amazon. :beg: I'll have to wait until Wednesday, at least. :dunno:

#24 Cliff

Cliff

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:07 PM

I got an email update... my copy of Raymonda may not be shipped until 2/1 - 2/15.

#25 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

There is a marked contrast between the first two acts of the Bolshoi and Mariinsky versions of "Raymonda." It's like watching Balanchine's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and Ashton's "The Dream" back to back: why are those people dancing now to that music?

In the Bolshoi version, Jean de Brienne appears immediately in the first scene, and he and Raymonda dance together, clearly as an involved couple. Tutus and pointe shoes are prominent. Abderakhman appears first in Raymonda's dream in the second scene. In the Mariinsky version, Abderakhman is introduced to Raymonda and the court in the first scene; Jean de Brienne appears in that scene on a tapestry. His first live appearance is during the dream sequence, and the dancing between them is formal and serene. The women in the first scene wear long dresses and dance in heeled shoes.

For all of its formality, I didn't get much of a sense of formal corps structure in the Mariinsky version. That may have been partly due to the filming, but the combination of floaty dresses and tutus also made it difficult to see the patterns. The Bolshoi version, in my opinion cruder in most ways, ironically does try to formalize the corps in the dream sequence.

The pluses for me in the Bolshoi version: on the whole, I thought the costumes were better, particularly the men's costumes. I love the way the corps in the dream sequence, with the dark silvery tutus, creates a blossom. I also prefer the characterization of Abderakhman. In the Mariinsky version, there's nothing charismatic about the character: in the dream sequence, he's more of a von Rothbartish figure, and in Act II, he does a lot of stalking, but little dancing. (Of course, it helps that Gedeminas Taranda portrayed him in both Bolshoi videos.)

Even: I liked both Vasychenko's and Berezhnoi's Jean de Briennes, each a very different character, and Clemence and Henrietta (Maria Bilova and Olga Suvorova in the Bolshoi. In the Mariinsky, there's a list of credits at the end, but not with character names, and there's only basic info on the single sheet enclosed with the DVD.)

The pluses for me in the Mariinsky version: Pretty much everything else. Irina Kolpakova :dunno: She has the most gorgeous arms. She doesn't have the uber-pliant back of many of the Mariinsky Odettes, but her carriage is impeccable, and she dances with diamond-like clarity. Structurally, with the exceptions noted above, I much preferred the Mariinsky. For example, there is much more dancing in the Bolshoi version for Clemence and Henriette, and especially Bernard and Beranger (their partners), but I found that Clemence and Henriette's parts in the Mariinsky had more impact: they were presented as something beautiful and rare, although they had prominent solos in each act.*

I hope to read more opinions as the DVD's get delivered. I hope, too, that someone here recognizes the dancers who portray Clemence and Henrietta. One dancer is a little shorter and more muscular than the other*, but I have no idea who they are.

*Edited to add: I confused the Clemence and Henriette with the dream and third act soloists.

#26 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:02 AM

I hope to read more opinions as the DVD's get delivered.

I hope to hear from other viewers too. But Helene, special thanks for giving us a report so soon after you got your disc!

#27 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:10 AM

Wow, I'm glad that it's on its way to our mailboxes and that Helene and others have actually received it.

I got the same 'further postponement' notice as Cliff received and thought to myself, 'This is the last time that I believe Kultur's promises for release." Hopefully, they won't 'bait' us like this in the future -- promising something in time for the holidays, only to postpone release time and time again. Most frustrating. But at least it's now finally on its way. Hurrah!

I'm only sorry that I got everyone's hopes up by starting this thread, by citing the original release-date. I had no way of knowing what a 'delay-bomb' this would turn out to be. Sorry, everyone.

#28 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,349 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 08:37 AM

It's a VAI release.

I would not be surprised if this was an industry issue, with smaller runs being knocked off the presses for restocks of blockbusters that were big holiday buys. I received the same notices for the Met Opera DVD's, which were released on Decca.

#29 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,401 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for that, Helene. VAI. Hmmm...wasn't that the company that issued the Jacques D'Amboise DVD that also experienced many delays with issuance following the original announcement? It was worth the wait.

#30 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

The DVD is now listed on VAI's website. And Amazon has shipped mine :thanks: Hopefully we'll all have ours soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):