This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Pennsylvania Ballet at City CenterNovember 15, Program Two

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 09:36 AM

I was there -- kinda -- on Thursday. Feeling lazy, I opted (I thought) to take the bus instead of walk. Big mistake. Long wait, no bus. At that point, I still had time to get near the theater by subway, but there was a major delay on the #1 line. I arrived at the entrance to the auditorium as the door was sealed, and I had to watch Barocco on the monitor. It was poetic justice, as during the ABT season I was one of several Mezzanine patrons who complained to house management and ABT Exec. Dir. Rachel Moore (who happened to be passing by) about intrusive late seating.

But even from the monitor, I could hear the fine balance of the orchestra and see a general sluggishness in the dancers' movement. Small fidgets, which might have negligible effect in other ballets, were disruptive. And the ensemble dancers took turns being out of sync.

Lambarena started out as minor fun, offered a terrific solo for Jermel Johnson (whose torso seemed to move in six directions at once) and then ran out of ideas. Great costumes for the ladies here!

As It's Going got a good boost from the Shostakovich score, but I can't recall a single enduring image.

#17 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

Abigail Mentzer?

http://www.paballet..../bio.aspx?id=55

Yes! Fairly certain that's the one. But the program listed her as a Russian girl for opening night's Serenade...Wouldn't be the first time that a program didn't list actual corps dancers
in various ballets...

Anyway, a nice headshot... If there was a short video too...

#18 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:35 PM

Concerto Barocco Sat matinee - a different cast brought a very different result. The ensemble again looked very good to me but this time the 3 principals were perfectly & completely in tune with the music, the choreography and each other. They were Julie Diana, James Ady and either Rachel Maher or Brooke Moore (a substitution was announced and I scribbled down Rachel Moore, which can't be right). I thnk it was Maher but whoever that seccond ballerina was, I was enchanted from her first entrance and the spell lasted until the curtain fell. Iím sure there were a few details that a Balanchine purist could take issue with, but this was a beautiful, magical performance. Both lead women, but Diana especially were by turns joyful, serene and soaring in their response to the music. It was the kind of Barocco where you really saw the music, and thatís the highest compliment I can give.

#19 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

Abi was in the Russian corps. She is the red head.

#20 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:29 PM

Abi was in the Russian corps. She is the red head.

There were two redheads; one taller, one shorter. Also a very brightly blonde girl. Don't recall the fourth girl.

So if Abi is a redhead, then the girl in the corps whom I so admired was someone else.

#21 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:03 PM

The second violin in the Saturday matinee performance was Brook Moore, formerly of San Francisco Ballet.

#22 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 06:41 AM

The second violin in the Saturday matinee performance was Brook Moore, formerly of San Francisco Ballet.

Thanks for clarifying, she was wonderful!

#23 j1stborn

j1stborn

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

def Luaryn Fadely. she is a beautiful dancer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):