This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello!

I am hoping that someone out there in "old" ballet world can possibly help me find a picture of Misha. He is in mid-air, left-sided profile legs outstretched, i think one is bent, face in a joyful, animated expression, and there is beautiful multi-colored? stretch of material billowing around him. It is the most gorgeous photograph i've ever seen and i want to locate it, hopefully in poster size, but plain photo is fine. I can figure out how to blow it up some how.

Any help is extremely welcome!!

markcity@sbcglobal.net

it would seem you refer here to a photo of Mikhail Baryshnikov in Balanchine's THE PRODIGAL SON - most likely as a publicity shot for the 'Dance in America' program that featured PRODIGAL. the show was first aired in 1978 and Balanchine and the tv program went back to something like the 1928 ballet's original costume which had the cape you describe. there was definitely a publicity photo at the time of Barsyhnikov at top of one of the athletic jumps that highlight the Prodigal Son character's choregraphy in the ballet's first scene.

if memory serves this photo was reproduced in both color and black-and-white - the costume was white with blue designs. (if i'm not mistaken, the official PBS photographer for the show was a man who goes by the professional name of Costas. you might try to reach him via PBS or New York City Ballet for whom he still takes photos.)

it would seem you refer here to a photo of Mikhail Baryshnikov in Balanchine's THE PRODIGAL SON - most likely as a publicity shot for the 'Dance in America' program that featured PRODIGAL. the show was first aired in 1978 and Balanchine and the tv program went back to something like the 1928 ballet's original costume which had the cape you describe. there was definitely a publicity photo at the time of Barsyhnikov at top of one of the athletic jumps that highlight the Prodigal Son character's choregraphy in the ballet's first scene.

if memory serves this photo was reproduced in both color and black-and-white - the costume was white with blue designs. (if i'm not mistaken, the official PBS photographer for the show was a man who goes by the professional name of Costas. you might try to reach him via PBS or New York City Ballet for whom he still takes photos.)

Unbelievably awesome response, i can't thank you enough!!!! I'll try your suggestions.