This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Nasty falls onstage during performances...who and when.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 Stage Right

Stage Right

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

It wasn't in a professional performance, but when I danced in Les Patineurs many (many!) years ago in a regional ballet performance that had been set by Enrique Martinez of ABT, I was dancing the duet (the Red Girls), and fell on my behind right in the middle of it. Amazing to me, I had the presence of mind to get up and theatrically "dust myself off" as if it was intentional (that happens elsewhere in the ballet) and keep on going! And no, I don't recall it being difficult to figure out where I was in the dance--the music tells you.

#17 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Good improvisation, Stage Right. Falling in a seated position seems very suitable for a skating ballet. A great opportunity for demonstrating aplomb. (I speak from my own experiences on the (real) ice, also many years ago.)

#18 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:01 PM

Tonight poor Osipova took the NASTIEST fall I have ever seen...and then, after limping a bit she did one of the GRANDEST grand jetes I have ever seen. Divina !! I really hope she is ok.

#19 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

Tonight poor Osipova took the NASTIEST fall I have ever seen...and then, after limping a bit she did one of the GRANDEST grand jetes I have ever seen. Divina !! I really hope she is ok.

Oh no. During what section? It sounds like she's ok.

#20 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,397 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:09 PM

It was right after Albrecht collapses, when she commands him to get up. Still, she managed to get up, and even barely able to walk, she came flying in her final diagonal of jetes toward upstage right, doing a huge one at the end.

#21 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,716 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

It was right after Albrecht collapses, when she commands him to get up. Still, she managed to get up, and even barely able to walk, she came flying in her final diagonal of jetes toward upstage right, doing a huge one at the end.

Hope she doesn't wind up regretting the jetes.

#22 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:09 AM

Hope she doesn't wind up regretting the jetes.

I would have been dazzled and cheering for her in the theater, but I fear that's my thought too. Heroics after any sort of injury may make that injury a lot worse. We don't know that she is injured, but...

#23 sandik

sandik

Diamonds Circle

• 5,716 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

I would have been dazzled and cheering for her in the theater, but I fear that's my thought too. Heroics after any sort of injury may make that injury a lot worse. We don't know that she is injured, but...

Oh, I know -- we're all suckers for the 'get up and make the winning goal' story, but I worry about what happens after the curtain goes down (mixing her metaphors...)

#24 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:45 PM

Oh, I know -- we're all suckers for the 'get up and make the winning goal' story, but I worry about what happens after the curtain goes down (mixing her metaphors...)

If she was injured, I would have brought the curtain down immediately.  Rather than risk further injury.  I know "the show must go on", but in this case it really doesn't need to.  It was almost at the end and it might have been better not to keep going.  Let's hope the injury is not serious and she will be back soon.

#25 Stage Right

Stage Right

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:08 AM

I understand the point, but this has always been one of my least favorite aspects of Balanchine lore.

An element of risk adds excitement, but there's always the threat of serious injury. The choreographer's career moves on; the dancer's career comes to an end.

Totally agree!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):