This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Tattoos and Piercings on Ballet Dancers?

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Poll: Tattos and Piercings on Ballet Dancers: (104 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your opinion?

1. Love 'em! (4 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

2. Hate 'em (82 votes [78.85%])

Percentage of vote: 78.85%

3. Couldn't care less. (18 votes [17.31%])

Percentage of vote: 17.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:26 PM

Brightly colored nails don't usually blunt the hand, however, unless they and/or the hand are badly shaped, though - generally colored longer nails enhance and emphasize longer fingers and elegant hands and often they are used to draw attention to those qualities.

The first time I noticed nail polish was when dancer's strange looking hands caught my attention from the fourth ring. I raised my opera glasses and saw that the dancer (initials JF), who usually had lovely hands, was wearing coral nail polish, a shade or two darker than her skin. That contrast, from that distance, was enough to cut the continuity of the line of her hands. In life, we seldom have reason to create a line from head to neck to shoulders through arms and out through the fingers. :)

#122 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

Just wanted to add that we may have the opportunity to see for ourselves in the next three Olympic figure skating events. The ladies generally polish their nails, and some may choose dark colors. I couldn't help but notice one of the ladies in last night's Compulsories had dark nails. Not a big deal when one hand is holding the partner and the other is held by him, but during the Original and Free Dance, and during Pairs and Women's, maybe we'll see what I've described.

I beg for readers' forbearance if I've become too insistent. Also, I am not unaware that nail polish is not the topic of this thread. However, it is a form of body ornamentation, even if it is temporary.

#123 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,462 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

This article is primarily about how opera singers' tattoos are concealed although it does mention dancers as well:
http://www.wqxr.org/#!/blogs/operavore/2012/aug/02/how-opera-companies-singers-tattoos/?utm_source=local&utm_media=treatment&utm_campaign=carousel&utm_content=item1

I didn't realize how much more work it would be to conceal them for HD broadcasts, of which there have been more recently for dance, primarily thanks to Emerging Pictures.

#124 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

I notice when performers have body art, but it doesn't affect my opinions one way or the other. I knew that I was seeing more tattoos in the last few years, but had no idea it was 1 in 5 adults in the US!

#125 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Tattoos seem to be a permanent solution to what may turn out to be transitory desires. Given the increasing call for bare torsos and legs in ballet and opera, perhaps consumer demand will lead to improvements in cover-up technology that can meet even HD standards.

#126 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

Tattoos seem to be a permanent solution to what may turn out to be transitory desires.

Very succinct!

#127 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

I thought I'd bring this thread forward again after seeing Crystal Pite's Emergence at Pacific Northwest Ballet.  The men in the work all had sizeable temporary tattoos as part of their costumes -- they were on the upper back, and most of them extended across the shoulder joint to the upper arm.  They were incredibly effective, especially in one section where the men were seated with their backs to the audience for an elaborate arm sequence.

They were applied with a stencil, and did not come off with soap and water -- apparently they needed some kind of makeup remover wipe, and with almost every man in the company working in the piece, they were all helping each other with the task. 

#128 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Recently I was at a performance of Alvin Ailey where the tattoos on one of the dancers were so large that it was distracting.

#129 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:34 AM

Funny; every few days or so it looks as if there has been a new post here; but then there has not. 

-d-

#130 hydraulix

hydraulix

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

I don't like it, it looks distracting and very inappropriate. For ballet, the body is a piece of art. Ulyana Lopatkina would't be the same as she danced the dying swan with a tattoo on her shoulder. I don't care if they have it, but they definitely should conceal it.

#131 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,462 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:45 AM

Funny; every few days or so it looks as if there has been a new post here; but then there has not. 

-d-

Because it's a poll thread, every time someone votes, it gets logged as a "New Post."  It's a quirk of the software.

#132 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

Thank you, Helene! :) That makes sense. 

-d-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):