This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Dancers in NYCB Corps3 out, 7 in

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

Three dancers no longer appear [in NYCB's roster]. They are
Ashlee Knapp...
William Lin-Yee...
Carrie Lee Riggins...

Glad to read in Gia Kourlas's Time Out article that Ashlee Knapp has found a home with Columbia University's Ballet Collective:
http://www.timeout.c.../24936/ballet-u

CBC offers a weekly ballet class to anyone with training, taught by Ashlee Knapp, a former member of New York City Ballet. “I wanted to test out my teaching skills to see if I was good at it and if I could do it as a job, and this was kind of a no-stress environment,” Knapp explains. “The ballet world can be so stressful and horrible at times—I felt like everyone was so burnt out. I just want to be really positive and try to bring the joy back. That’s something I’m going through as well.”

Former Suzanne Farrell Ballet dancer Lydia Walker, a founder of CBC,

calls the class “one of the best-kept secrets in New York,” crediting Knapp with improving her technique more than anyone else at the moment. “She has a good eye,” Walker says. “She’s tremendously musical. She has a lot of enthusiasm, and she gives a lot and it comes very naturally to her. She’s into no judgment—of course, there’s good and there’s bad, but we’re doing this because we love to do it, and it’s not terribly more complicated than that.”
Knapp has choreographed a new solo for the group’s first concert

Is any official news available regarding Mr. Lin-Yee and Ms. Riggins?

#17 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:12 PM

William Lin-Yee has been a guest artist in Berkeley Ballet Theater's Nutcracker.

#18 Hollywood Ballet

Hollywood Ballet

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 08:08 PM

It pains me to hear that Carrie Lee has left... she has a winning smile, a lively presence and real charm. She also does wonderful footwork -- if you remember, when Martins' premiered "Jazz," (to me, an otherwise forgettable work, embarrassingly trite and ignorant in it's treatment of race) it opened with Carrie Lee alone, center stage, doing a series of intricate steps to a complicated rhythmic sequence. Doing it very, very well!

Several of us were wondering recently if she would return....

Carrie may have taken over that part, but she didn't join the company until 3-4 years after the ballet premiered.

I will miss her too, but there was an influx of talented short girls over the last few years that led to fewer and fewer roles for her. And, then she was out at least for the spring season, if not longer. If she was injured, I hope she recovers and finds another place to dance.

Carrie Lee is now a Left Coaster, and you can't have her back, LOL!
Seriously, I hope to have the honor of working with her soon, and I assume she is healthy, or as healthy as a dancer can be after 10 years of brutal Balanchine. Well, will keep you posted, and it's great to see how many love her back there. I'm sure we'll love her out here too!

#19 carrieed2

carrieed2

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

From Carrie Lee, I only wish that my dream since I did Marie in 1989 of being a Principal at NYCB came true. I look over all of the comments from time to time to hear and digest my impact those seasons ago....I have to share how much I appreciate the honest feedback. Thank you .......I hope those that took the time to comment read this. It makes the struggle worth a damn. I have to admit everyone has been completely on the mark. It is good for an artist to hear the truth about the energy and performance that was delivered. THANK YOU to those that saw my promise and thank you to those that criticized my moments I could have done better. Everyone was right.

#20 ViolinConcerto

ViolinConcerto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

I got a sweet reply from Carrie Lee, but couldn't respond..... Carrie Lee, I also hope you are doing well on the "Left" Coast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):