• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Alymer

Alymer

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:44 AM

Whenever I've see performances of Matthew Bourne's pieces ( I wouldn't necessarily call them ballets) Bourne sitting in the stalls and generally leaps to his feet and applauds vociferously as soon as the curtain goes down. Perhaps he does this because he's so enthusiastic about his dancers and grateful that they have given such wonderful performances. On the other hand................

#17 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

FWIW, I used to see Kirstein in the center of the first row of the First Ring, about half the times I was somewhere in that section, which was not very often, as I preferred the orchestra; and Villella sometimes sits on the left aisle in the center section of the Au Rene Theatre in the Broward Center for the Performing Arts in Ft. Lauderdale, and used to sit there in the Jackie Gleason Theatre in Miami Beach, too, where I've not been for some time, however. As for working for him: One evening his regiseur (sp?) was sitting in front of him (in Gleason) at the premiere of a revival she had prepared, and while we were giving the dancers some of their deserved applause, he reached forward and patted her on the head...

#18 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 05:03 PM

My wife and I had a subscription in the first ring (as well as two others in the second ring.) Kirstein sat in the first row of the first ring, as Jack Reed said. Over the course of several years I saw him applaud politely a handful of times. Usually he remained impassive throughout the performance and left before the curtain calls.

#19 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

I just saw this thread, thanks to Helene's post on a newer one, here.

I think it's great that Arpino says what he thinks.

Interesting. The impression I got from Mel's post was of Arpino whipping up the audience, regardless of the quality of the performance. I almost imagined his public whoop-whoopings followed backstage by a stern recounting of unfortunate performance moments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):