This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

MCB "Jewels" opening tonight...

The rehearsal clips of Jewels are still up at the Miami Herald website, at least as of Friday the 12th.

http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/story/262785.html

Many thanks for the link, Quiggin!

Watching the video, I'm reminded of when Suzanne Farrell described working in the studio on Vienna Waltzes, and then getting her dress -- she said that all of the little steps she'd been practicing were lost under the satin and ruffles. Seeing Emeralds in rehearsal clothes is like seeing the skeleton of the movement, before the tulle.

It was great to see the dancers that bart and Jack Reed have been describing for us these past years!

I'm going tonight...! :bow:

I hope you enjoy it, and we look forward to hearing your impressions.

My thanks for the link also, Quiggin! The video is still up today. What a treat! (Even if the dancers were a bit in the dark, and there was not enough space around them. Maybe a more sensitive setting on the camera next time? -- I'm not complaining, those are suggestions! Go for it, Jordan!)

But I would like to point out, especially for those who may not be able to see the video but who can get the two still pictures: The first picture has an erroneous caption. Those are Deanna Seay and Isanusi Garcia-Rodriguez, rehearsing Diamonds. The second picture is vaguely captioned; in the middle is Andrea Spiridonakos with two girl and two boy corps members -- I can't quite place the dance. Somewhere in Rubies. And while I'm at it, Jordan Levin, the Herald's dance critic, is credited at the end of the video clips, and may have been their instigator. All this is clear enough if you can play the video.

So, Helene! Now you've glimpsed them, what do you think?

I'm no Helene, but I will say.........I was duly impressed. I've always heard good things about MCB, but now I've seen it for the first time. I'll tell you one thing, if I ever find a reason to go to Miami again (I don't like warm weather :)), I will make a strong effort to go during ballet season.

I'm not sure exactly what I liked so much......if I had to pick something, I'd pick the word "lyrical".

I've watched the tape over and over, and what I like is the crispness of the movements, the knife blade flashes of the hands and feet, and the full realization of the counterpoint, especially in Diamonds with the series of brilliant and passionate leaps in the background. It's so different from Farrell and Martins in the PBS tape, which now seems a bit slow and muted and overly distended--like a mannerist painting.

So, Helene! Now you've glimpsed them, what do you think?
I've watched the tape over and over, and what I like is the crispness of the movements, the knife blade flashes of the hands and feet, and the full realization of the counterpoint, especially in Diamonds with the series of brilliant and passionate leaps in the background. It's so different from Farrell and Martins in the PBS tape, which now seems a bit slow and muted and overly distended--like a mannerist painting.

I completely agree with Quiggin on all points. Diamonds was a revelation of an alternative performing universe.

The movement quality of the lead men is particularly pliant and juicy, which I love.

I'm still at a loss with Emeralds, because I cannot translate in my head what this will look like in costume. while both Diamonds and Rubies are immediately translatable. But not at enough of a loss to stop me from wanting to see these dancers in person and to solve the mystery with my own eyes!

It's available in the archives on nl.newsbank.com; however, links to the archives expire. Otherwise, we would have added it to the Links thread for the day in which it was published, where we track published reviews. Thanks to leibling for the heads up on how to find it.

To find the review, go to the Miami Herald website. At the top of the page, click the radio button to the left of "Archives," type "miami city ballet jewels" in the text box, and click the "go" button.

You should be able to find the review by Jordan Levin, published originally on 10/13/07.

Any link you create will expire in less than a day. I don't know how long this will be up, but I do know that from the nl.newsbank.com site, to read the article would cost $5.15.