This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Who needs a biography?A real one

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

Hans, there is Rambert's marvelous "Quicksilver" but it's a memoir rather than a critical study. It's great reading, though.

#32 Anthony_NYC

Anthony_NYC

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:29 PM

Minkus, Delibes, and Adolphe Adam. The dearth of information in any language is hard to understand.

#33 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

I can just imagine Mr. B's reaction to a huge, 600+ page biography about him. "My oh my. Just the events, dear."

#34 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:34 PM

Minkus, Delibes, and Adolphe Adam. The dearth of information in any language is hard to understand.

Yes!

#35 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:51 PM

I am surprised to hear that there is no biography of Delibes!

#36 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,272 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

Mme. Alonso :bow: needs one:
Loved by millions in Cuba and abroad, and equally hated for her communist political afiliation. One of the few living Prima Ballerina Assolutas on earth, Balanchine's muse and Fidel Castro's close friend. Praised, venerated and equally bitterly criticized by the same dancers at the same time for her tiranic ballet managment. Responsible for elevating careers to the point of having cuban principals in all major world ballet companies, and accountable also for stoppping others from the rise. Internal scandals, major triumphs, and all this while being legally blind since her early twenties...Well, i think there is some material to work with right there...

#37 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

I have two books on Pavlova not mentioned: The Flight of the Swan...A Memory of Pavlova by Andre Oliveroff as told to John Gill published in 1932; and Pavlova by Walford Hyden, Her Former Musical Director published in 1931. Neither of these books claim to be official biographies, but there is a lot of biographical material in them...

P.S...I am very excited to read about a Bruhn biography to come! He was, is, and will always be my idol...

#38 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:19 AM

Mme. Alonso needs one:
Loved by millions in Cuba and abroad, and equally hated for her communist political afiliation. One of the few living Prima Ballerina Assolutas on earth, Balanchine's muse and Fidel Castro's close friend. Praised, venerated and equally bitterly criticized by the same dancers at the same time for her tiranic ballet managment. Responsible for elevating careers to the point of having cuban principals in all major world ballet companies, and accountable also for stoppping others from the rise. Internal scandals, major triumphs, and all this while being legally blind since her early twenties...Well, i think there is some material to work with right there...

Wow Cristian, sounds like a project you should undertake! :dunno:

Has the Volkova biography been printed in English yet? If not, will it be?

#39 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

yes to the volokova query - see (somwhere on BT) alexandra's alert to this book's recent publication.

#40 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

yes to the volokova query - see (somwhere on BT) alexandra's alert to this book's recent publication.

Here it is.

#41 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

Thank you.

Amazon UK has it as well.

#42 agnes

agnes

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

I am reading "Ballet To The Corps", an autobio of Marie Pacquett, who danced with Joffrey and ABT in the 50's and 60's. It's a great read, and I hate to get to the end, so I try to read only a bit at a time....like savoring chocolate cake. And I also enjoyed reading "Ballet Is A Contact Sport".

Does anyone know of other books written from a corp member's perspective of the professional ballet career?

#43 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:58 PM

Winter Season by Toni Bentley is a memoir of life in the corps of NYCB. It's not an autobiography but is very evocative of place and time.

#44 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

Winter Season is a good book. Bentley's style in places is a little overripe for me, but as you say GWTW it's an invaluable snapshot of the company in that time and place. I think you'd really like it, agnes.

#45 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:54 PM

Christopher d'Amboise wrote a memoir as well, but I don't remember what rank he was when he wrote it. It's more about SAB and company life than "I got this role" then "I danced that role".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):