18 replies to this topic

#16 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

rg, "Lilac" seems consistent through all the various productions -- except for Diaghilev's London season, where it's "Mountain Ash." Do you have any information about what that might have meant? Or why the established Lilac name was replaced?

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

I think that Diaghilev misread his audience, and feared that "Lilac" was too Russian, or at least French, a reference. The good English Rowan may have been a nice choice, and not as bad a choice as his choice for "Sleeping Princess" over "Sleeping Beauty" as an overall title. There, he actually went over into misogyny, or at least unchivalry.

#18 Pug933

Pug933

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

Do the faries in act 1 (discussed in this thread) corresponsd at all with the faries in act 3 (gold, sapphire, silver, diamond)?

Katie

#19 SamD

SamD

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

Do the faries in act 1 (discussed in this thread) corresponsd at all with the faries in act 3 (gold, sapphire, silver, diamond)?

Katie

No the fairies in act 3 are the metal (gold, silver) and jewel (sapphire, and diamond) fairies. These fairies are to bless the marriage of Prince Desire and Aurora (I'm not sure of the indvidual gifts they bestow upon the couple though). I hope I have answered your question :).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):