This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tamara Rojo plans for ballet in Spain

We have had several threads about Angel Corella's new "Ballet de Espana." Early posts, when things with Corella were still in a discussion stage, there was mention of parallel plans by the Royal Ballet principal, Spanish-born and trained Tamara Rojo, to form a company in Spain. A recent article/interview in Dance Now (Autumn 2007) has some information that helps distinguish between the 2 ventures. (The author is Jann Parry.)

Corella is starting up a ballet company in Spain, the Ballet de Espana, with sixty dancers (including four recent Royal Ballet School graduates). Bassed near Madrid, the company, whose first performances will be in 2008, is privately funded through the Angel Corella Foundation. Rojo has meanwhile been asked to prepare a scheme for a state-funded Royal Ballet of Spain, in conjunction with the University of King Juan Carlos I in Madrid. [ ... ] According to Rojo: "The uniersity already has good facilities -- a theatre, dance studios -- so we're looking at establishing a professional company, if the government is able to find the money."

Rojo is working on a doctorate in dance at the University.

The article also refers to her experience dancing with Corella at the Royal.

Diplomatically, she chooses not to comment on partners with whom she has not got on, with the notable exception of Angel Corella. He appeared as a guest aratist with the Royal Ballet in several roles, including Albrecht to her Giselle. "Let's say it was forgettable. We were not very compatible in our aims and we have a different understanding of what ballet can be."

I assume this article was written several months ago. It presents the story from Rojo's perspective, I am sure. Does anyone have other information about her venture?

Other threads, going back as far as a year ago, include:

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...5&hl=espana, and

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...4&hl=espana, and

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.p...3&hl=espana

Rojo has meanwhile been asked to prepare a scheme for a state-funded Royal Ballet of Spain, in conjunction with the University of King Juan Carlos I in Madrid. [ ... ] According to Rojo: "The uniersity already has good facilities -- a theatre, dance studios -- so we're looking at establishing a professional company, if the government is able to find the money."

Well, Corella did it, Bocca has Boccatango, so why not Tamara...In my opinion, the more the better, so two thumbs up and good luck, Ms. Rojo! BTW, wouldn't it be wonderful if she could, somehow ,try and revive some pre-Russia, Spain-originated Petipa's ballets...?...any notations ...?

Dance Now is a quarterly associated with Dance Books in the UK. The format is similar to Ballet Review here in the US, but the issues are more substantial. I admire and learn a great deal from both the ariticles and the illustrations, and there's often an interview with a major European dancer.

They have a small website, but they do not put their issues on line, just occasional pieces. There is a link, however, to an article on Sylvie Guillem. Who knows? they may eventeually getting around to linking to the Rojo interview.

It's quite easy to order books directly from Dance Books, and that was how I got to subscribe to Dance Now.

http://dancebooks.co.uk/now.asp

We have had several threads about Angel Corella's new "Ballet de Espana." Early posts, when things with Corella were still in a discussion stage, there was mention of parallel plans by the Royal Ballet principal, Spanish-born and trained Tamara Rojo, to form a company in Spain. A recent article/interview in Dance Now (Autumn 2007) has some information that helps distinguish between the 2 ventures. (The author is Jann Parry.)
Corella is starting up a ballet company in Spain, the Ballet de Espana, with sixty dancers (including four recent Royal Ballet School graduates). Bassed near Madrid, the company, whose first performances will be in 2008, is privately funded through the Angel Corella Foundation. Rojo has meanwhile been asked to prepare a scheme for a state-funded Royal Ballet of Spain, in conjunction with the University of King Juan Carlos I in Madrid. [ ... ] According to Rojo: "The uniersity already has good facilities -- a theatre, dance studios -- so we're looking at establishing a professional company, if the government is able to find the money."

Rojo is working on a doctorate in dance at the University.

Ok, I'm getting confused. I thought the Spanish Royal Family etc. had given Corella the St. Cecilia palace/school at La Granja--which would suggest he has some support there. And Segovia itself and possibly Castille-Leon are also supporting the venture. Again, suggesting there is government interest and maybe financial support too? But if the government is willing to support both Corella and Rojo in their efforts, good for them. I just wish it was less confusing or contentious. And though Rojo seems willing to naysay Corella often publicly, I don't think I've ever heard of him doing the same to her; he's either more circumspect or more considerate.

Ok, I'm getting confused. I thought the Spanish Royal Family etc. had given Corella the St. Cecilia palace/school at La Granja--which would suggest he has some support there. And Segovia itself and possibly Castille-Leon are also supporting the venture. Again, suggesting there is government interest and maybe financial support too? But if the government is willing to support both Corella and Rojo in their efforts, good for them. I just wish it was less confusing or contentious.
Yes, it does seem confusing. I should stress that what I was reported was something Rojo herself told the interviewer, so we can't be sure how much of this planning is firm and how much is wishing.

I'm reminded about some the way the story of Wheeldon's new Morphoses company has been pieced together -- slowly, with some false leads, retractions, etc., along the way. Probably the same is inevitably the case here.

I hope CarolinaM, Grissi and some of our other members who are more knowledgeable about developments in Spain will be able to help us. In the meantime, it's great to hear what people think about what we DO know.