This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Costumes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SanderO

SanderO

Silver Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:21 PM

I understand that ballet and opera companies have huge wardrobe departments. But do dancers ever actually own their costumes?

#2 Gina Ness

Gina Ness

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:35 PM

If a dancer pays for a costume, they own it. When a dancer performs as a guest artist often, it is worth the price of a costume (tutus, for example, can be very expensive). This way, you have what you need when you need it, and what fits and looks good on you. Sometimes, dancers can borrow costumes if it works out that the costume might not be needed, but one can't always count on that....Generally, companies do not like to loan costumes.

#3 dancekitty

dancekitty

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

If a dancer pays for a costume, they own it. When a dancer performs as a guest artist often, it is worth the price of a costume (tutus, for example, can be very expensive). This way, you have what you need when you need it, and what fits and looks good on you. Sometimes, dancers can borrow costumes if it works out that the costume might not be needed, but one can't always count on that....Generally, companies do not like to loan costumes.

When my local dance academy was performing Nutcracker this year, both of our guest soloist brought their own costumes. He had a very nice outfit (from Kirov Ballet), but she had the most tattered dress for the parts before the PDD. I know she was borrowing that one from her company. The tutu looked very new and professional, though, in the end/PDD.

#4 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

It also depends on the dancer. I know Sylvie Guillem only wears her own costumes.

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

Male dancers also have stocks of standard costumes. Black waistcoat, white shirt, with or without bow for "Les Sylphides", standard black tunic for Black Swan, all-purpose gray gilet, apple-green tunic, because it goes well with rosy-pink....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):