This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Fall for Dance 2007

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:27 AM

I loved "Quick" too. I didn't read your report before I went Saturday night, so I made an ass of myself by asking my Indian friends if it was derived from Kathak. "Oh no! This is Bharatanatyam." Back to school for me. Interestingly, one woman I spoke to who is a Bharatanatyam purist mirrored our discussions on Ballet Talk. For her, what Rajarani was doing distorted the style too much for her to enjoy it. Perhaps ignorance really is bliss; I could enjoy it for what it was.

I very much like the Boston dancers, but like Violin Concerto, really dislike the Elo piece, which is from the "One %#$%$# Thing After Another" school of choreography. My problem with Camille Brown's piece was once she put on Miss Nancy Wilson singing, I stopped watching the stage and only listened. I liked the Nkuleko finale, but after several days of the Festival and several big finales, I became a Grinch. I got tired of people exhorting me to put my hands together and clap; I stayed with my arms resolutely folded across my chest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):