15 replies to this topic

#16 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:27 AM

I loved "Quick" too. I didn't read your report before I went Saturday night, so I made an ass of myself by asking my Indian friends if it was derived from Kathak. "Oh no! This is Bharatanatyam." Back to school for me. Interestingly, one woman I spoke to who is a Bharatanatyam purist mirrored our discussions on Ballet Talk. For her, what Rajarani was doing distorted the style too much for her to enjoy it. Perhaps ignorance really is bliss; I could enjoy it for what it was.

I very much like the Boston dancers, but like Violin Concerto, really dislike the Elo piece, which is from the "One %#$%$# Thing After Another" school of choreography. My problem with Camille Brown's piece was once she put on Miss Nancy Wilson singing, I stopped watching the stage and only listened. I liked the Nkuleko finale, but after several days of the Festival and several big finales, I became a Grinch. I got tired of people exhorting me to put my hands together and clap; I stayed with my arms resolutely folded across my chest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):