This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Your favorite variations

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Grissi

Grissi

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

Male: Lacotte's variation for James in La Sylphide, 2nd act and Bounonville's variation for James also in the second act (Nureyev danced it superbly). Well, being a woman I also liked to dance these two because of the battery.

Female: 1st, 2nd and 4th variations from Le Grand Pas de Quatre.

#32 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:45 PM

I like Gamzatti's betrothal variation and -- very similar in feeling and rhythm -- the Flower Girl variation (which has sometimes been danced by Kitri at ABT) from the wedding act of Don Q with the back cabrioles.

I'm also a big fan of James' variation (B'ville version, Act II).

Another of my favorites is the piccolo variation from Balanchine's Raymonda Variations -- brise-grand jete X 3, etc. . . .

#33 fandeballet

fandeballet

• PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:38 AM

I fell in love with the "Ribbon PDD", and the solos connected to it, in Ashton's La Fie Mal Gardee. Beautiful, but pretty difficult to dance. That one arm tushie lift at the finish sure must be painful for the Colas(?)!!!!!!

#34 JMcN

JMcN

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:22 AM

Over the last weekend I saw BRB doing Galina Samsova's production of Paquita in Birmingham. Since then the male variation as performed by Chi Cao has become a firm favourite. He has a razor-sharp classical technique and performed 8 double tours in alternating directions at the three performances I saw him do. The audience could not help but gasp in amazement at the ease with which he performed these turns.

#35 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

Raymonda -- I like ALL of her variations and LOVE the one with scarf and the grand Hungarian one.

Terpsichore's variation is Dance itself.

Odette's variation, though it's beautiful, is impossible to make moving-- Semyonova's is the best I 've ever seen.

#36 chrisk217

chrisk217

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

Odette's variation, though it's beautiful, is impossible to make moving-- Semyonova's is the best I 've ever seen.

Which Semyonova? Marina or Polina?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):