This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Lisa Maree Cullem

Terry

I recently saw some video clips of her, and she looked gorgeous!!! Anyone seen her with the Bavarian National Ballet or with the English National Ballet? I understand that she is a frequent guest artist all over Europe.

Guest betsycoker

I actually did have the good fortune to see Lisa Maree Cullem perform Nikiya in "La Bayadere" with the Bayerische Staats Ballett in Munich last spring.

The production was a bit odd- all the sets were flown out for the last scene, and the (until then, faithfully classical) version ended with Nikiya and Solor on a completely bare stage under bright white lights ascending to...something...

Anyhow- Ms. Cullem was truly fantastic, and from her first entrance (literally her walking) I was wondering why I'd not heard of her before. She has that extremely rare Sylvie Guillem physique, clean technical strength, remarkable fluidity, and lots of drama.

I'd love to see more of her, but the BSB doesn't tour the states much, if at all. What a shame for us- the company would rival ABT for talent and international savvy. (And what's more- the corps are all uniformly trained and they dance together as a corps de ballet, which is more than I've seen from ABT recently!)